Sleepy Potterton Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Potterton Lynx Electronic, gas boiler... don't know what exact model, I looked but I couldn't tell from what was shown on the outside of the unit.

When a hot tap is used, the boiler doesn't kick in... likewise when the shower is used the boiler doesn't kick in... but having the shower and the hot tap on is enough for the boiler to notice, and it kicks in providing hot water to both. We can live with it, but obviously very wasteful...

It's been this way since I moved in a few months ago. I did have a plumber come out to look at it, but he had no idea what it could be and wanted me to get a new boiler. This seemed even more wasteful!

I would really appreciate some advice on what to do, who to contact, and most importantly, what I can I tell them is wrong?

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Sponsored Links
Ha ha, yeah he really didn't seem interested in fixing it. But to be fair he didn't charge me for his time either, so I can't complain.

Diaphragm holed / stretched... How hard is it to get a new diaphragm fitted? Should I really be thinking new boiler?

Your boiler is starting to get a bit old now but some of them are still in good condition and well worth repairing.

I am never very comfortable with this idea of telling a plumber what is wrong with your boiler. I would always advise getting a competent person who can work it out for himself. You can of course wait for him to tell you thats its a failed diverter valve.

Tony

Sponsored Links
A failed diverter valve? I take your point, I won't tell the plumber their job. The boiler seems fine otherwise, it heats up water anyway!

just out of interest, you water flow rate hasnt decreased recently has it?

I for one like a client to give me as much info as poss, even if it is irrelevent

helps get the point asap thus saves money, but then we all cant be agile ;)

Ahh no, good thought, but the flow rate is fine, both hot and cold, all taps and shower. It really does seem like it's under-sensitive, needing a lot of flow before it notices there's a request for hot water.

I for one like a client to give me as much info as poss, even if it is irrelevent
Me too. I would never be offended if someone said 'I think it might be the diverter valve'
Any scrap of info could point me in the the right direction when fault finding so don't be shy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back