Illuminated Door Bell Push

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I want to replace my old battered plastic illuminated bell push with a stainless steel one.

I've managed to find one here : http://www.alertelectrical.com/Door...-Bell-Pushes/Illuminated-Chrome-Bell-Push.asp but from what I can work out it runs at 8 volts.

I've had the multimeter out on mine, and it seems to be 13.8v (it's an old Friedland transformer).

Anybody know if this one will work, or do I need to look for a different bell push or transformer?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
where does it say its 8 volts?

also that type of button uses the bell coil to limit the voltage, so in other words try it and see

Thanks for the reply - it doesn't actually say 8 volts but the assosciated transformer on the right is 8v, and all transfomers I can find are also 8v.

Just wondered if the bulb that fits it would blow at a higher voltage....

Thanks.....

as i said try it and see, this is becuse your door bell itself will limit the current and so in turn the voltage will drop

Sponsored Links
Amazing what you will find if you search: - From a web site on the bell push byron 4217.

Bell Pushes are solid brass and can be used with existing door bell systems. Lighted Bell Pushes cannot accept more than 12 volts from a transformer, nor can they be used with a battery powered bell.

This should be OK for your existing Friedland system, the transformer voltage that you measure is higher, since it is measured on open circuit!

Jaymack

Thanks - do you think I am better off getting my multimeter out and checking whilst the button is pressed to confirm that it's less than 12v??

I suppose I could just buy the flipping thing - it's just a bit of hassle ordering it, paying postage & returning it if chances are it won't work...

just buy it! When you put an appliance (bell and bulb) across a transformer its output voltage drops!

What does your transformer say on it? Most bell systems are 8 volts AFAIK.

Also it is 8v AC. You may be seeing more on your meter if you've selected DC? Just a thought......

TTC

Now I'm confused... I've managed to climb up and look at the transfomer - it's a Friedland 752 - it says "Primary 240v, Secondary 3-5-8v 1.0A". Presumably this means that it can supply the required 8 volts?

Why would it supply different voltages, I'm just curious....

Usually, tx's like this supply different voltages depending upon which terminals you connect the secondary conductors to.

Thanks,

I'll take the cover off and have a look inside and see if there are different terminals....

Push button ordered now so I'll wait and then see what I can do....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back