Boiler Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
This question may have a simple answer, but unfortunatly for me I am not all that clued up yet, having only just taken ownership of my first home.
Basically, up until this week we have had no problems at all with the hot water as we have not had the heating on at all.
BUT....at the begining of the week I turned the heating on a bit and ever since we havent had hot water coming out of the taps - its only warm.

The boiler is a Valient with two green notches on the front - one for the water and one for the heating (im guessing from the pictures next to them).
Well this week I have turned the notch on the heating from nothing to half way, and left the water notch at just over half way - but it has affected the water somehow.
Not only that, but even though we have a central heating programmer, the heating seems to stay on even thoguh the program is off (When the boiler notch has been switched on).

Does anyone have an idea what I have to do to get this sorted, as with the cold weather on its way, I really need to get this sorted, and preferable without having to call a plumber in and costing me a bomb.

thanks for all the helpin advance!!

Sponsored Links
If you Google the make & model of your boiler you might find a user manual on the Manufacturers web site.
JonB

Never heard knobs called notches before.

I expect you have a Turbomax 82x and it needs a new diverter valve.

Is the panel around the knobs black or light greyish?
Is there an LCD display?

Hi Chris,

No there is no panel around them, they are just two circular notches (switches) where you can turn the Water or Heating up or down.
There is an LCD display (Small) but I really dont understand what it is meant to be showing. And under the display it has 3 lights, the Green is always on.

Sponsored Links
Previous diagnosis reinforced!
The manual/user guide is on their website.
If you turn the HW knob to minimum for a couple of seconds the green light will go out. Then turn it back to middle or where you had it.
That'll stop the rads randomly getting warm but they still will when you use HW - which won't work very well.

The rrp for the part is £128 + vat and it should be straightforward for a boiler engineer to fit.

ChrisR said:
Previous diagnosis reinforced!
The manual/user guide is on their website.
If you turn the HW knob to minimum for a couple of seconds the green light will go out. Then turn it back to middle or where you had it.
That'll stop the rads randomly getting warm but they still will when you use HW - which won't work very well.

The rrp for the part is £128 + vat and it should be straightforward for a boiler engineer to fit.

So you defo think its that valve? My old man had a feeling it would be.
Ill try what you said and give a plumber my family use a call and see what happens.
Thanks for the help guys!!!

Last night I did the little trick with turning the HW off then back on, and although the green light went off etc, the water is still not hot.
I even turned off the radiators that were left on to stop the water going to them, but there is still not proper hot water - just warm.

It sounds like the valve has gone, so I need to get that done, but meanwhile im bu*gered for hot water.

Yes that's all consistent with the original suggestion.

Turning ALL the radiators off might help HW a bit but isn't a solution.

What a nightmare - it was all ok until i turned the heating on one night!!!

Jeez, you only need one part changing. That's a nightmare?

It is when you have only just moved in and are skint!!
But in the whole scheme of things, I dont spose its too bad.
As long as a plumber doesnt try and rip me off.
I guess I am looking at around £150 to do this?

So how much will a plumber charge to do the job then?
(forgot about the VAT bit)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back