One pipe system + new boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Hope you can offer some advice. We have an ailing Baxi back boiler which is connected to a one pipe system with 7 rads in a bungalow. We are going to replace this boiler (with either a combi/cond combi or other suitable boiler) soon and would like to know if it is possible to do this without changing any pipework.
Obviously we understand that it would be better to convert to a two pipe system, but we are concerned about the amount of disruption to decor etc this would cause as some of the pipework is under concrete floors.

We have been told by an engineer that it is possible sometimes to run a condensing boiler on a one pipe system, but it would be a matter of installing it and waiting to see what happens!!

Would there be a lot of disruption installing a two pipe system? We are considering installing the boiler either in the airing cupboard (in the hallway) or in the loft.

Your opionions would be valued-thanks.

Sponsored Links
See recent thread -
Search on
+one +pipe +system
select "all terms".

Tabitha said:
Your opionions would be valued-thanks.

I just did a quick search and couldn't find anything recent on the board. I've been asked just the same thing by a potential client. They told me their old boiler is very inefficient, but the one pipe system did keep the house warm.

They want a 2 pipe quote on 18 rads, but I think it will be scary money to do a proper job. Im more inclined to suggest a decent boiler replacement.

What would you lads suggest?

bungalows with large open roofspaces are a gift to heating installers........only downside to the householder is the drop to each rad.......I used to love installing in bungalows before Corgi,partP and the rest :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
The new HE boiler will work ok on the old one pipe but it is essential to do a very good flush of the existing pipework & rads . u need to remove each rad & wash out as best u can.

Installed one last week it works perfectly although only small house so the pipe run wasn't to long.
dosnt need a bypass valve.
it doe's require a large amount of flushing.
make sure none of the radiators run off the 1inch pipework and have it removed.

bab said:
The new HE boiler will work ok on the old one pipe but it is essential to do a very good flush of the existing pipework & rads . u need to remove each rad & wash out as best u can.

Thanks bab, will suggest this route when I do a survey. Have got enough work as it is without spending best part of two weeks taking up floorboards and being a furniture remover in a large old house.

I talked to Worcester Bosch about this and they said that would not honour a warrantee on one of thier boilers if installed on a one pipe system

so here is hoping it dont breakdown eh?

corgiman said:
I talked to Worcester Bosch about this and they said that would not honour a warrantee on one of thier boilers if installed on a one pipe system

so here is hoping it dont breakdown eh?
mind u thats worcester. :rolleyes:

Give the system a good flush and like you say give it chance to see if it works. Most manufactures will warrant a boiler on a one pipe system as long as it has been flush correctly. I ahve installed quite a few combis on one pipe systems but sludge is the biggest problem with them due to the age of the system. Would be worth while installing a Magnaclean to help or a boiler buddy.

Well due to the state of most boilers we only fit WB

so who else would guarantee this, as most MI's that I have read clearly show a two pipe system??

as soon as I get the chance (its a bit busy at the mo) I will ring some others to ask them what they think.

I am editing this to clearly define my opinion

one pipe systems are rubbish and always have been, if you putting in a top notch boiler it follows that the system that it is heating should also be as up to date.

Under the Sale of Goods Act the manufacturers should provide a working boiler.

If any failure is caused by installation problems then obviously that will not be covered HOWEVER if for example the fan had failed which is not concerned with a one pipe system they they must fix it under the guarantee.

I was once called to a "fault" under the warrantee. The installed had decided to add a second pump on the flow. Before attending I asked him a question which he answered incorrectly. When I arrived I discovered that the second pump created too much suction and the boiler's system flow switch would not operate. That became a chargeable visit.

Tony

Agile said:
Under the Sale of Goods Act the manufacturers should provide a working boiler.

If any failure is caused by installation problems then obviously that will not be covered HOWEVER if for example the fan had failed which is not concerned with a one pipe system they they must fix it under the guarantee.

I was once called to a "fault" under the warrantee. The installed had decided to add a second pump on the flow. Before attending I asked him a question which he answered incorrectly. When I arrived I discovered that the second pump created too much suction and the boiler's system flow switch would not operate. That became a chargeable visit.

Tony

mmm ok tony I see that you are passionate about this and seeing as you are a legend in your own lunch time I will accept this one.

I still say its stupid to install to a one pipe system

and thats my opinion end of

My best suggestion to the original question would be to install in the loft and then for the minimum of inconvinience have pipes dropped to each radiator.

Then you will have a nice new High Eff boiler and a decent system to run it on in order to save as much money as poss.

I for one still cannot see how a condensing boiler which theoretically should have a temp diff across the h/ex of approx 20 deg will work as it should on a one pipe system.

But hey thats just me.

Stan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back