Window Cill's

Sponsored Links
The window will not actually sit on the cill so it can be removed without changing the window.A sharp chisel down the length near the window will help to split it and prise it away but just take it steady and it will be ok. You will probably have to break out some of the plaster from the reveals but nothing too serious.

Hi,
There seems to be some confusion here, a window sill is part of the frame, where as a window board or ledge is not. The sill is external and board is internal. Which one did you mean Colin?
Hope this helps
Spike

Hello, I was wondering if you could give me a few words of advise ? I have a wooden window frame in my new house and the outside of the window cill (the bottom of the frame in contact with the window directly) has severe rot and has largely fallen away.

Firstly is it ok to replace the cill alone ? Or does the whole lot have to go (I can't afford that option).

Secondly how would I go about replacing it ? Could I put new treated wood on the outside and fill the rest with putty ? Wait for the inisde to dry and then repaint it ?

Thanks for your time.

Sponsored Links
Hi,
Yes, anything is possible if you know how. It’s quite common to cut out the sill where rotten, and splice in a new piece shaped to match the surrounding sill. Alternatively, the complete front section (protruding part) of the sill can be removed, and replaced, assuming that the remaining part of the wood from the face of the window is sound enough for the new sill to screw into. Don’t forget that the new sill needs to be sloped, with a weather drip (groove) to the underside.
At one time it was quite common for us to replace the complete sill, but it does mean removing or smashing the glass, and saw cut the both jambs. We would then splice new jambs, join them into the new sill and refit. The new sill would be packed up to marry the jamb joint and secured.
Hope this helps.
Spike

The window will not actually sit on the cill so it can be removed without changing the window.A sharp chisel down the length near the window will help to split it and prise it away but just take it steady and it will be ok. You will probably have to break out some of the plaster from the reveals but nothing too serious.

Oh, I was thinking he meant outer cill, lol :)

the inside thing is a window board, not a sill

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back