Remove rad, installing towel rail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to install a heated towel rail in my bathroom. There is already a radiator there and and piping. First, I need to remove the old rad to make good the wall underneath for painting. Is there an easy way to remove the rad and cap the pipes while I sort out the wall underneath. I'm not concerned about being without a rad in the bathrrom for a week or so. I'm a complete novice with plumbing but pretty good with DIY in general. I am going to get a plumber in to install the towel rail but it seems a waste to get one in just to remove a radiator as well.

Sponsored Links
1) Close valves
2) Undo a union
3) Put a builders rubble bag underneath to catch water
4) Open air vent
5) Detach radiator when empty

Don't I need to cap the pipes or something? I don't mind being without a rad in the bathroom for a while but I'd still like to use the rest of the rads in the flat.

When you close the valves, no water will escape from the pipework, so once the rad is drained, its ok to remove it - making sure you keep the valves tightly closed of course.

It will be sensible (or may even be necessary!) to have new valves fitted with the towel rail, so this will involve draining down the system.

Sponsored Links
Brilliant. Thanks for the help. I'm sure the plumber will do the draining down, etc when it comes to fitting the towel rail. For now I'm just happy to get the rad off the wall without flooding the room.

Just a word of warning.

Radiators tend to give out much more heat than towel rails so make sure that your bathroom is going to be warm enough.

I replaced our old radiator with a towel rail and it was absolutely freezing last winter.

It is now going to cost me a small fortune to replace with a designer radiator that will fit the pipes coming out of the wall (but cheaper than ripping out the wall and floor tiles to reroute the pipes).

Hadn't thought of that. It's quite a big bathroom and only has a single-glazed window. There must be towl rails out there that throw out enough heat.

And surprisingly the first thing people do is put towels on them which also cuts down the heat given into the room

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back