POTTERTON PUMA 100E fan problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a high pitched noise coming from my boiler on start up, it becames quieter once the boiler is fired up and running,
The fan does run but sounds like either the bearings are on the way out or it may just have dust between the impeller and housing,
either way is a job that I could do as a competent electrical/ instrumentation engineer?

On close inspection it looks like the fan housing is mounted inside the combustion chamber, is this true?

I await a reply and thank you for taking time to read my question.

Sponsored Links
Dry bearings perhaps.
Corgi would say only a Corgi regd bloke can disturb the airflow in a boiler........

The fan is pretty expensive now.

If you did decide to open ip up then you could probably expend the life for many months by lubricating the bearings with car engine oil.

But NOT with WD40 as that can cause an explosion!

Tony

Thanks for the advice.

Was i right in saying that the fan is located inside the combustion chamber?

what other precautions should be taken when replacing the fan?

Do i require any other spare components i.e chamber seals to complete the job?

thanks again Paul

Sponsored Links
Theres a parrott in here :)

yes get the fan seal pack to go with it as well and you get the 2 seals you will need to do the job ;)

Where is the best and cheapest place that you would recommend to buy the fan and seals from?

thanks Paul

Does a "recon fan" come with "recon seals" ?

paul1read said:
Hi,

I have a high pitched noise coming from my boiler on start up, it becames quieter once the boiler is fired up and running,
The fan does run but sounds like either the bearings are on the way out or it may just have dust between the impeller and housing,
either way is a job that I could do as a competent electrical/ instrumentation engineer?

On close inspection it looks like the fan housing is mounted inside the combustion chamber, is this true?

I await a reply and thank you for taking time to read my question.

I appreciate the time taken with your life story & qualifications & the fact that you are informing the world that you are clever enough to have diagnosed the fault on your heating system, the simple response to your answer is `yes` your fan is fu**cked.. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Agile said:
Does a "recon fan" come with "recon seals" ?

use high modulus silicone, as stocked by CH merchants just for the purpose, and issued by Baxi

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back