Need to change boiler.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all..

I have a conventional boiler which is coming to the end of its days (must be 25 yrs old) however I am undecided on whether to replace it with a combi or not.

I still want to keep the hot water tank as a backup but what is the cheapest to run ? it is a three bed bungalow and the water pressure seems ok, I have two kids who at the moment prefer having a bath.

Are combis cheaper to run, my bill for the colder months ie Nov - Jan is around £150, Feb - Apr £110 and the warmer months around £45.
Which models are more efficient and of course reliable, any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Your cheapest option would be to replace your boiler with a conventional one and possibily making your heating circuit sealed as this is more effecient.
Modern combis do not like filling baths unless you pay for a higher flow rate model.
Keeping your hot water cylinder with the above option.

The saving you make with a combi is hot water as they only heat on demand and do not store (some do again more exe ones).

Your heating bill would be cheaper as modern boilers are more effecient and a power flush would renew the effeciency of your pipework and radiators.
Hope this helps
Pete

if you want to go all efficient then look at getting a megaflo hot tank or similar. This provides excellant heat up times with great pressure to hot taps. No need for shower pumps.

These tanks also are stainless steel with 25yr guarantee on corrosion.

Cheers

Nick

Sponsored Links
Nice but Megaflo's cost as much as boilers!
NB if you go the combi route you will get a good shower without a pump, which is significant.
But you should have read up by now that if someone turns on another tap while you're in the shower, you'll notice it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back