Glow worm hot water problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, this is my 1st time on the plumbing forum.

I have a glowworm swift combi boiler and the last few months we just turn on boiler for hot water, since this the hot water sort of trikkles out with no pressure,

Also the boiler looses 1/2 to 1 bar of pressure every 3-4 days suggesting a leak.

I called a corgi fitter who over the phone without seeing it said I need a new boiler but by a NEW LAW has to now be a condensor viriety, is thos true or can it be fixed and why do wickes still sell the other flue sort if this is the case.

Please help as I don't want to be ripped of by a cowboy, a bit of knowlege on possible probs will help, I am good at plumbing but never touched a boiler.

Havn't yet looked but could it even be the feedtank in the loft for the hot water part of the problem.

Thanks all

Phil

Sponsored Links
In most cases boilers have to be condensing now. A few exceptions, points system, usually only for flats and ome terraced houses.

You haven't got a feed tank in the loft - or it wouldn't be losing pressure.
Check the pipe which goe out through the wall - is it wet/dripping?

Read about boiler pressures in the faq section.

the pressure reduction maybe a scaled up heatexchanger or just blocked filter somewhere. Quite possibly repairable.

The pressure loss may not even be directly related to boiler therefore a new one would do no good. Unless you know differently?

Some intallers get it in their head that 'old' boilers should not be maintained or repaired but simply replaced.

suggest you try another corgi to atleast come and look!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back