Ideal Responce 120 boiler problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a ideal responce 120 combi boiler, it has a intermittant fault, sometimes when you turn on the heating or the hot water the burner will not fire up and the lock off light comes on.

any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
me i have a mk 1 turbomax it has had a diphram and thats all

it is on a clean system (cheers tony) as i fitted it myself

it will probably see me out ;)

Even if the heat exchanger is not leaking (yet), its a sensitive premix boiler and the mixture, fan, flue, ignition electrodes and flame detection electrodes all have to be spot on to give reliable and quiet ignition.

All of these are serious CORGI territory and even then few want to work on them because they are so troublesome.

Tony

so it could be anything then, are these boilers very unreliable?

I'm looking at getting a new one but haven't a clue which to chose

A customer of mine had a Response 120 for 3 1/2 years (the government even gave her a grant to buy this piece of junk). Leaked like a sieve, numerous fault errors and finally the heat exchanger failed.

I think I'm right in saying trading standards got involved somewhere down the line due to the appalling quality of this boiler. These boilers are so bad many including myself refuse to work on them.

Ideal should stick to cast iron boilers - anything more and its stretching their knowledge a step too far.

There latest adverts in the trade press are a joke... "Aerospace and Automotive Specification"...who are they kidding.

As for a new boiler check previous postings as this question crops up all the time.

I am one of the very few who will work on them. Often for other boiler firms!

When they first came out I was interested in the rather unusual design. I attended an Ideal course on that model which was delivered by an ex Ideal service engineer who was superb compared with many of the professional trainers.

He fully understood the boiler and told us all the little secrets which Ideal would probably prefer we did not know! A service engineer knows all the little wrinkles and it was wonderful. He told us exactly what we needed to know!

Since then I have never had any hesitation in going to any of these apart from wondering why I seem to be one of a very small number who will.

Tony

Agile said:
I am one of the very few who will work on them. Often for other boiler firms!

When they first came out I was interested in the rather unusual design. I attended an Ideal course on that model which was delivered by an ex Ideal service engineer who was superb compared with many of the professional trainers.

He fully understood the boiler and told us all the little secrets which Ideal would probably prefer we did not know! A service engineer knows all the little wrinkles and it was wonderful. He told us exactly what we needed to know!

Since then I have never had any hesitation in going to any of these apart from wondering why I seem to be one of a very small number who will.

Tony

Most lads i kow will work on them, I for one like them, except for the he problem the most problems I have are blocked LPS and fans blowing the fuse (most lads pop in the wrong sized fuses)

They are as good as any boiler made IMO

PS I think we were on the same course tony

the bloke who gave mine was about 50 wore glasses and worked for ideal for years and years

in fact he had just recently move to hull to be near the factory, ring any bells??

Well the last one I looked at had 3 different intermittent fault codes (2 were not in the manual). Ideal suggested it could be the gas valve, the gas control board or the main pcb and didn't appear that confident with their own diagnosis.

Since the heat exchanger was starting to corrode at the top and adding up the possible cost it was time to scrap it.

You can appear a complete idiot in front of the customer if you don't pick and choose the right boilers to repair. Ideal produced this junk - they can take the customer flak. :evil:

As i say

I have at least ten of these on my books that have not given me a moments hassle other than the points i have listed before

the company i worked for fitted a lot of these and have repalced a few because of the HE.

IMO most reasonable experianced RGI's can fault find them and the parts are reasonably availible

sheesh if the client rings IDEAL they will even get a HE fairly cheap and it takes about two hours (thats just me and I am an extremely fat and lazy man) to change.

But if you have the readies for a new un replace it, just like any halstead, bahama's (insert any boiler YOU dont like here)

:)

The Ideal course I went on was possibly somewhere in Kent on a site with lots of plastic underground pipe.

The tutor was not much over 33 and wore glasses at about -2 dioptres.

I really have a "thing" about professional lecturers. They deliver the worst experiences and service enginers the best !!!

The absolute WORST one I went to was at Vokera in North London. After having to move my car twice just to let the Owner park his Rolls there and me to put mine on a dogey road about 1/2 mile away, I found the lecturer was ex-BG and seemed to know hardly anything about Vokera boilers although he had been there for a full six months. I have never fitted or recommended a Vokera boiler since that fiasco.

Contrast that with the totally enjoyable experience at Ravenheat and a wonderful delivery by John and with a personal visit by the owner Louis who looked round and pointed to me and said " I know you!".

Contrast that with Vokera and there is no match. Having said that I do often prefer the Vokeras to repair.

Tony Glazier

Similar expericences with very expensive Netware and Unix courses - we tended to spend much of the time informing the course tutors of the "real world".

Many years ago whilst installing dealing room IT (with Reuters) we would be sent on our own companies technical training courses. Most of us saw it as a break from the 100 Hour working weeks as we knew more than most of the lecturers. They were held at St Katherines Dock next to Tower Bridge a world away from the city. Technical documentation was superb though - everything down to component level.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back