Acer 3020 touchpad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace the ribbon cable on the Acer 3020 touchpad. It seems obvious where one end goes (the motherboard) but how is the cable connected to the touchpad end. The underside of the touchpad has like plastic layers on it to cover the underside. Anyone ever replaced such a cable ?

Sponsored Links
m.birtles said:
I need to replace the ribbon cable on the Acer 3020 touchpad. It seems obvious where one end goes (the motherboard) but how is the cable connected to the touchpad end. The underside of the touchpad has like plastic layers on it to cover the underside. Anyone ever replaced such a cable ?

They're nomally permanently attached in my experience, you would need to replace the whole thing. Alternatively if its just a broken track you can repair it by scraping the insulation back and soldering a fine wire across the gap. You need to be a bit of a dab hand with a soldering iron though. Maybe you know someone who's handy with one?

How come then that Acer are supplying a new cable. If it is permanently connected then how do I connect the new one that they are posting ?

m.birtles said:
How come then that Acer are supplying a new cable. If it is permanently connected then how do I connect the new one that they are posting ?

I did say "normally".

If the ribbon is attached via a small plastic connector then they normally consist of two parts, the housing for the contacts and what is in effect a plastic wedge. You can very carefully lever the plastic wedge out which loosens the ribbon enough to pull it out.

More often the ribbon is terminated as tinned through holes for soldering.

As I said, what I've seen most of, of late, is sealed units where the ribbon is sealed into the housing. I guess its all part of building down to a price level.

Sponsored Links
So to put my mind at rest then...........if they are supplying a replacement cable then surely it must be removable somehow ? I forgot to ask when I ordered and couldn't be bothered to phone back as it took 30 mins to get through and it aint' a cheap phone call !

I guess if they are supplying them then they must be replaceable, hopefully it'll just be a push fit connector and away you go.

Back