Electric Fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an electric fire which is to be mounted to a flat wall surface.

Directly behind the fire is the plug socket which it will be connected to, but obviously with the plug in the socket the fire will not mount flush against the wall.

Can I replace the socket with a switched FCU with flex outlet and connect the fire directly using this to make it more flush against the wall?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'd certainly be sure to check there is enough space behind the fire to allow dissipation of any heat buliding up at the back.
If not you would find the cable quickly melting!

Is the fire designed to be fixed directly to the wall?

And yes, you could use a switched FCU and connect direct.
(assuming you exisiting supply line is 13 amps)

Canyou not move the fire slightly to one side or move the fcu below the fire.?

Many thanks for your reply

The fire is freestanding and is suitable for flat wall fixing (rather than inset), it comes with a spacer kit to do so. The plug socket is a couple of inches above the floor, and will always be behind the fire

The heat is dispersed via fans out the front of the fire, the rear of the fire does not appear to heat up much! To be honest with you it is just there as a feature, and will rarely if at all be used for heating!!

My plan was to take the plug off the fire, and direct connect the cable from the fire straight into the FCU (which will replace the current plug socket).

If you can see any other potential problems with this let me know!

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't put the FCU behind the fire not least bcause of heat issues. As Ban says, isolation is an important issue.

I see many appliances (eg washers) wired under tops with the socket outlet feeding them right behind. An elderley lady customer of mine had a fire in her tumble drier and could not turn it off. She didn't have the presence of mind to switch off at the mains. Bless her, she panicked and ran into the street and the neigbour called the brigade, and they only just saved the place. 32K's worth of damage.

It's lazy and a pain in the a**e to do this. move the fcu if at all possible or even the fire if position is not critical.

securespark said:
An elderley lady customer of mine had a fire in her tumble drier
A few years ago my tumble has a burning smell and found the fluff was building up round the internal switch.Is this what can cause a fire or is it something else ?

Many thanks for all prompt replies - have been very helpful...I will probably move the FCU for safety precautions.

Thanks again

Rich

masona

I never got to the bottom of the cause, but your problem sounds like it may be cause for concern.

sorry i just notced masona's post (its me age)

fluff can also build up in / around the heating element. some td's have a fluff filter which must be regularly cleaned, even so some fluff may get past it.

when a td is serviced any fluff found must be cleaned out (its surprising where it does get into)

breezer

wots yur age got 2 do with fluffy td's???????????????

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back