Potterton 40 Lockout problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi hope you may be able to help me. I have a potterton 40 which has been locking out for sometime. Usually you reset and it will fire up ok, but sometimes it will try to start but fails and locks straight out again and comes up with a flashing red light and nothing else. If it does this you give it a tap and it will sometimes start, sometimes not. When it fails to start you hear the fan start, it then tries to ignite (hear the click) and then cuts out. I thought it might be the PCB or the Solinoid on the Gas inlet. I did open the unit up (with all power off) and tap all the main relays/ solinoids and it ran fine for about 2 weeks then it started again. I don't know if this is any help, but the unit when running does stop and I see a green flashing light, it will then start again after about 2 minutes. I assumed this is a thermal cut out? The unit is quite hot when this happens. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
very very likely its pcb you will need the upgrade kit part number 5111603 and a corgi registered engineer to fit it ;)

only other thing it could be is gas valve but do a search on here and you will see wot i mean about pcb

Replacing the PCB is a fairly straightforward job for anyone who can manage to tie their own shoelaces

... and new ones are a silly price, be warned

raden said:
Replacing the PCB is a fairly straightforward job for anyone who can manage to tie their own shoelaces

Sniff

thats the kindest thing you have ever said aboput RGI's raden

you gettin soft in your old age or what...

cos surely you are not suggesting its a DIY job ;)

cor I aint half nawty

Sponsored Links
I kid you not ...

Today had a CORGI wanting a pcb for a fuelsaver
"202006 or 202052 ?" i asked
"Err ... duh"
"Is it a cream or blue coloured board ?"
"Err , cream"
returns an hour later with the 202052 - blue pcb

Tie his own shoelaces? I doubt it

As for the Suprima panel?
Simple DIY job, isn't it,

of course, a recon would have been a direct replacement, just as reliable and a lot cheaper

raden said:
of course, a recon would have been a direct replacement, just as reliable and a lot cheaper

mmmm thats has been a matter of much debate

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

you the man raden touche

but as you can see I am still not beating a path to your door, like many of us

maybe you need to insult me more ;)

I kid I kid

raden said:

how can it be just as reliable when its a well known fact that the original pcbs let alone the reconditioned ones are crap and the new ones are superb as they have been out for 2 years now i have fitted approx 200+ in this time and only been back to 2 :confused:

So who went back to fix the other 198 engineer boi ?

if recon ones were crap, I wouldn't still be in business - in fact I would go as far to say that I have a success rate of over 99% so I beat your Mk3 boards, engineer boi

I was amused to see three Suprimas all fitted in a small kindergarten school.

Dont know about the third one as it was up a ladder!

The lower two boilers had both come with the new PCB and they had BOTH been changed under the warranty!!!

Tony

raden said:
So who went back to fix the other 198 engineer boi ?

if recon ones were rubbish, I wouldn't still be in business - in fact I would go as far to say that I have a success rate of over 99% so I beat your Mk3 boards, engineer boi

i wasnt particularly saying that recon boards in general were ****e just that those particular pcbs were ! so if you have a special way of making them work for years and years well done cos inertech(siemens) couldnt manage it for 8 years or so ! and i aint your Boi so dont call me it OK :D

Well, checked on a couple of regular customers who have suprimas from me

the first in S Wales who employs 5 fitters has had 174 Sup bpoards off me in the past two years. The first one he returned as a warranty went down in july. He was disappointed that it had broken my 100% record

the other a company in Birmingham have had 132 from me in the past 18 months - two returns, one of which was installer damage, where he pushed one of the stickity uppity zener diodes through the board.

I do get the odd one back, but considering the volume which goes out, I'd say I was well up on Potterton, whichever pcb build you choose

" ...cos inertech(siemens) couldnt manage it for 8 years "

That's not true, while the design and build quality are both rubbish, it wqould cost them literally pennies per board to significantly increase the reliability significantly

so tell me more how do you do it then :confused:

not by modifying the appliance i hope and changing the type of components on the pcb :confused:

but then again im sure you get all of your redesigned pcbs approved by the appropriate testing centres ;)

]so tell me more how do you do it then :? [/quote] that's for me to know [quote= said:
not by modifying the appliance i hope and changing the type of components on the pcb :confused: :

We don't modify, we only repair

[quote="]but then again im sure you get all of your redesigned pcbs approved by the appropriate testing centres ;)[/QUOTE]

I'm sure one day you'll get a clue

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back