new door handle bar not fitting mortice latch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've purchase some new door handles from screwfix:

These:
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=A432942&ts=67752&id=90855

but the supplied bar does not go through my original mortice latch hole, the bar is too thick. I realised that bars could be of different lengths but didn't realise that the bar could be a different diameter. I need to replace all the mortice latches anyway because I am changing from brass to chrome but don't want to order new latches if the bar isn't going to fit.

Are the holes in mortice latches supposed to be a standard size and I've just got a dodgy set of door handle bars. The bars are not solid all the way, they are cut down the middle on each end to accommodate a grub screw but I don't think this makes much difference.

Sponsored Links
Is your old latch a Tubular Mortice latch, or does it have a squareish box and/or a lock?

Its a tubular latch with no lock. I have to buy new mortices latches anyway but looking on screw fix it doesn't mention anything about the size of the hole that the bar will fit through and I don't want to buy 11 mortices latches only to find the bar of my handles do not fit.

Sponsored Links
Majority are 8mm, with a few mortice locks that take 5mm/7mm spindles. I'd take a file to the bar and reduce it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back