Curved Radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace two curved radiators that are in bay windows. I would like to know is it possible to curve double convector rads. If so how would I go about measuring up to give to a radiator manufacturer ?

It is not practical to put flat rads in a different position.

Sponsored Links
We might know, but it's no good asking us. You must speak to the manufacturers who will be making the radiators, they can tell you what information they need to know. If you get the information from anyone else and it's not right, YOU will be left with the bill for useless radiators.

Radiator manufacturers do not normally curve their rads - but if you go to your local Heating Merchants they normally have companies that will curve a radiator to what you require. What is normally required is a paper template for them to work from

I have found a merchants who will bend a radiator for me.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips on making the template from the bay window.

Should I place a piece of paper against the skirting board and then run a craft knife against the curve. Or will the extra 10mm of the skirting distort the curve required of the radiator.

I suppose the alternative could be to take the existing rad away and use a bit of hardboard held against the wall. I am not sure what I could use to superimpose the curve accurately on the board to then cut with a jigsaw.

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't the best solution be to use the existing rad as a guide? Either take it to the merchant itself or take it off the wall and use as a ruler to draw a line on a bit of paper.

There is a company in Bristol that can curve your rad or supply you with a curved rad for your bay window. They will expain how to go about doing a template as they deal with this all the time. They don't have a website but can be contacted by phone 01454228212. Greenfinch Engineering.

They will probably want an hardboard template, on the other hand so do you in case of discrepancy's.

Measure the length of the intend radiator and cut a piece of thin batten the same length, Plastic conduit or overflow will also do.

Tie a strong cord to both ends and pull it tight (Robin Hood style) till it fit the curve of the wall, transfer to the hardboard and cut out with a jigsaw, test and make any fine adjustments.

Tip;
The template must be positioned the bracket distance off the wall, about 30mm

I've got a job that has a 5m+ long curved rad in 4 sections which is corrugated so when you take it off the wall it goes straight and when you rehang it you tap on a curved section off galv U shaped metal on the top and it takes back its form.
Oh and this rad was manufactured over fifty years ago and still took a pressure test in excess of two to three bar before refitting. It is such a simple idea but works very well. If you had enough space you could form it almost into a circle.

After having some ridiculously expensive quotes and having some doubts eventually I got the radiator made by Greenfinch Engineering. Perfect!!! If you need one ask this guy for a quote - you would be surprised. It was worth my while to drive all the way from Surrey to Essex.

http://www.greenfinchengineering.com

01702-200836

Greenfinch Engineering, Flat Unit 4 Foundary Business Park Station Approach,Hockley Essex United Kingdom SS5 4HS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back