Rads in one room only warm up when hot water valve is closed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have noticed that both radiators in my living room will not work if the valve for the hot water tank is open. All other rads upstairs and downstairs are hot enough but hotter when the valve closes for the hot water. I suspect the valve is faulty and does not always close but how would this effect just 2 rads??

Sponsored Links
Could be that more water than necessary is going through the HW cyliner. Or that the pump isn't pumping fast enough - they are usually 3 speed

I have tried the pump at all 3 settings but it has made no difference. I will have a go at replacing the hot water valve anyway as it has occasionally stuck in the past and if this does not sort the problem I guess changing the pump is the only other alternative??

Try everything else before replacing the pump. Pumps do fail, but not as often as people think.

Sponsored Links
I think that the pump and the valve are working correctly. The problem seems to be that the hot water valve is not shutting down as the tank struggles to get to the 60 degrees that I have it set to. If I turn the tank thermostat down to 55 the valve closes. It seems to take nearly 2 hours for the hot water tank to be hot to the touch but the bottom third remains cool - is this normal??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back