Worcester 280 ignition problems....and more !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend in the heating trade installed our central heating system around 7 years ago . For the last 4 or 5 months we have had problems with the ignition when demanding hot water . Our Worcester 280 boiler is in our loft, and I would often have to go into the loft to press the reset button after several failed ignitions.

It appears that even when the system DID ignite sucessfully, it would switch on and off intermittently , although evnetually hot water would result . However, more often than not it would fail to light at all.

It was looked at a few weeks ago , and I was told that it would now ignite successfully although it was possibly a faulty modulator that was causing the system to switch on and off as water flowed through it , rather than maintaining a steady temperature.

The repair unfortunately lasted only a couple of days and the system then refused to ignite at all ! On my next visit to the loft, there was an ominous drip , and now the pressure guage has dropped to the " bottom " , so there is obviously a leak in the system into the bargain !

My problem is that it is hard for my friend to make a diagnosis , price up the cost of spare parts etc , without the handbook that came with the boiler ....which I simply cannot trace !

Does anybody have either an address from which I can obtain a handbook for this (presumably) discontinued boiler, or care to make a diagnosis on the details I have described ?

I would be extremely grateful , as Winter will son be upon us , and if a replacement boiler is on the cards it would be best to get one orderd asap.

Sponsored Links
Your "friend in the trade" cannot be seriously involved in boiler repairs if he needs the manual before he can consider it.

Any professional has copies of the manuals or knows where to find them!

Since the problem may be associated with the settings of the gas valve its essential that the person dealing with it is CORGI registered.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back