Flaking ceiling paint due to damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In our basement kitchen I've noticed the ceiling which runs a short distant under the garden path has bubbles appearing across it. The paint is coming away due to damp entering from the path. This has been improved but I now want to scrape away the flaking paint and some of the ceiling that's become 'live' (it think its concrete in this part of the kitchen). I then want to seal this area with something before filling and repainting. A builder once mentioned a rubber-based sealant but I can't remember its name. It only comes in black apparently if that give a clue to what he's referring to??

Anyone have an idea of what else i could do? Essentially plan is to chip away the 'live' damaged ceiling parts, seal the remaining holes, fill them and then repaint. But should I seal it with?

Sponsored Links
Sounds to me that the cause of Dampness has to be fixed prior to painting.......................

Third_Eye said:
Sounds to me that the cause of Dampness has to be fixed prior to painting.......................

Yep..id say so too...the builder might be talking about chlorinated rubber paint...which is very durable but you might as well go for 'no more damp' or one of those products.

And you might want to think about a false ceiling if you have the height

Thanks for responses.

Don't really want to do a quick solutions but need to sort this. So, for now, will try bit of rubber-based solution to act as sealant. Something called Cyntaproof (not sure it thats the correct spelling)?? Anyone heard of this?

Agree that the source of the problem should be fixed. And the previous owners had it looked at a few years back and sorted (or so they thought). I reckon due to its location, inevitably, a bit of damp will get through eventually.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for responses.

Don't really want to do a quick solutions but need to sort this. So, for now, will try bit of rubber-based solution to act as sealant (Zinsser make a product apparently).

Agree that the source of the problem should be fixed. And the previous owners had it looked at a few years back and sorted (or so they thought). I reckon due to its location, inevitably, a bit of damp will get through eventually.

cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back