Potterton Profile Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have tried to turn the heating on for the first time for 6months, boiler light turns on and starts to heat but after about 10mins it just turns off and then does not come back on. Any ideas...?

Sponsored Links
CHeck the pump is turning, by removing centre screw and poking screwdriver in. If not, try to turn shaft with flat screwdriver.

If not that, what motorised valves have you got?

I have a "Mad Dog" teeshirt. I was unfortunately wearing that when the Police attended after my dog was alleged to have bitten this fellow. When the Dorset Police arrived to investigate, the suspect dog was being fondled by a 7 y.o. girl and looked far too docile to be guilty.

I changed the teeshirt, paid the £6 drugs cost, and heard nothing further thank goodness. Dog has had no further contact with the Police.

As far as your boiler is concerned, I agree with Chris that it sounds as if the pump is failed but the test of the pudding would be to see if the Profile has heated up too hot to touch the flow pipe and the return is cool. If left for up to 30 min to cool the boiler should fire up again for a few minutes to reheat itself.

Fidling with the thermostat should make some difference. Its possible its faulty with too wide a hysterisis gap.

Tony

Thanks so far.

Was woken in the middle of the night by what can only be described as a kettle boiling noise from the boiler. We have a grundfos ups 15-50 pump, this was so hot that you couldn't touch it, yet we had turned the heating off after about 40mins of the boiler light not coming back on. Why did this continue to get so hot, even though no hot water or central heating was set to on at that stage.

The profile casing was warm but did not touch the pipes, will try that tonight. Thanks again for assistance

Sponsored Links
the Police attended
I ..paid the £6 drugs cost, and heard nothing further thank goodness.

Yeah they always want to sell you dope. I'm not sure if it's a little sideline selling off confiscated gear, or they're setting you up so they can DO you for Possession...

maddoggone - It could be , if you have 2 port valves, that a switch has stuck "on" although the valve has returned to "closed". Then you would have the boiler on regardless of other controls, but little or no circulation. To prove it you'll have to get into its knickers with a multimeter.

If you need help, first confirm type of valves fitted :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back