Noise coming from boiler.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a Worcester Bosch 24i Combi boiler, serviced early this year, and have recently noticed noises from the boiler which sound like air trapped, ie slight banging and knocking.

I have looked at the instructions, and bled all rads, bled the pump from the screw in the front, and released some pressure from the pressure valve then filled back to correct pressure.

The pressure is 1.6 bar cold, and the problem starts soon after turning on the CH, and will disappear when system is warm.

The system is 2 and a half years old, so don't think sludge will be a problem.

If there is any air in the boiler part of the system, shouldn't the auto air vent get rid of this?, I did try to open it a bit and some air did seem to come out, (couldn't be sure though), or could it be faulty? Do you have any ideas?

Thanks,

Rich.

Sponsored Links
The auto air vent should be left open all the time (close it then open one full turn)

gigz said:
The auto air vent should be left open all the time (close it then open one full turn)
Thanks for the reply, when I opened it I left it open probably more than 1 turn, can't be sure until I check again.

The pump works ok, could it be dirt in the system from installation, or adding another rad a year ago, and this collects in the boiler area, it seems strange that as soon as the system gets to full temp all is quiet.

Is it worth draining again and flushing through with anything?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I have checked the Auto Air Vent, it is open a full turn, and seems ok.

The pump seems to work as the farthest, and newest rad heats up quickly, noise is only in the boiler as described above, but doesn't always knock loudly, sometimes makes a kettling sound I think, but if its left on for a while the noise stops completely, so its only noisy when heating the water up.

Is it worth completely draining and flushing the system, and using cleaner, if so what type should I use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back