Cracks in my ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved into a 1920's house - the ceiling are all sagging and cracked. Can I screw them back to the jists and caulk over or does anyone else have a better idea - I'm not keen on replacing the ceiling completely?

Sponsored Links
If it's plaster and lath type then a plasterer should be able to repairs where needed or if it's plasterboard then it will never go back flat to the ceiling joists,I'm afraid you're going to have to renew it.

It is not the new type of plasterboard - what is lath type? From above it has a rippled effect backing with plaster on the actual ceiling which is flat - is this lath?

It moves quite freely when I push it from underneath - I can pin it to the rafter an get the plasterer to sort it.

Thanks for your help Masona

darrenh said:
It is not the new type of plasterboard - what is lath type? From above it has a rippled effect backing with plaster on the actual ceiling which is flat - is this lath?
Yes,the lath is a strip of woods with approx 12mm gap which grip the plaster over the lath to hold it in place.

It moves quite freely when I push it from underneath - I can pin it to the rafter an get the plasterer to sort it.
What is moving freely,the plaster or the lath ?

Sponsored Links
Well, if you don't want to replace the ceiling,then all you can do is to knock off the loose plaster,re-fix the lath and make goods with plaster.

But do some reading on lime plaster, and don't use modern gysum plaster. The modern stuff will crack as it is too hard. Lime plaster is surprisingly easy to work with, and you will need to add some hair to the base coat to give it something to bind it together.

You could spend an enjoyable day on a lime mortar/plaster course, learn a surprising amount, and then do a good repair on your ceiling. The people who run the courses mostly sell the materials too. Try a search on the net for lime mortar courses.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back