? External Expansion Vessel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First Off, Can I thank everyone who responded to my last query. This problem is an extention of the last one. I Have a Protherm 80E Combi- boiler that kept losing pressure and cutting out. I got the engineer out (connected to the firm that makes the boilers) who pre-charged it but warned me that it may lose pressure again if the expansion vessel was damaged. True to his word 3 days later it lost pressure again. I know that it will require 2 engineers to change it and it will cost a fortune. He mentioned that I could get a plumber to fit an external expansion vessel to bypass the problem instead. Would most plumbers be prepared to do this? Would it be more cost effective? Would I be better off Buying an entirely new boiler? Many thanks for any advice you could give me.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Slugbaby - Will get some quotes after the weekend. I do know when I tried to find a boiler firm last year to deal with a different problem I found it difficult to find one that would touch a protherm boiler with a barge pole (which is why I went with the protherm company this time around). Hopefully someone will take ithe job on. Cheers

The principle is easy Just get a pressure vessel from another combi of about 8 litres or more and connect it to your heating system. Preferably to a pipe that is 15mm or larger

The difficult parts are :-

Finding a suitable pressure vessel that preferably has a 1/2", 3/8" or3/4" BSP connection as cheaply as possible. From these sizes you should easily be able to connect to 15mm pipe.
Go into a parts supplier and ask what they recommend. [Others on here may be able to help with that one]

Finding a suitable location for it. Under the combi is often possible as is inside a cupboard

I'd love to sort the job out for you but I am about 300 miles away

Sponsored Links
Slugbabydotcom said:
I am about 300 miles away
And, presumably, not comfortable unless within 15 seconds of a toilet. ;)

8 litre expansion vessels are now widely available (e.g. BES or Toolstation £18 ). You may also need a support bracket (unless well supported otherwise) and perhaps a flexible connector - ¾" x 15mm to allow for movement of the vessel.

Many thanks Slugbaby and Chrishutt. Thats given me plenty to chew on.............I'll let you know the outcome.

Just to give you an update - a man from group force (or whatever the're called) came out to look @ the boiler ( free of charge as they had done the initial work) and believes the expansion vessel is fine and can find no fault or reason why it may still be losing pressure. I asked whether it may be via the PRV but he said it was bone dry. I'ts only happened twice in the last 2 weeks which is less frequent than before so maybe the problem will go away (optimistic, I know ). It could be leaking from the rads but surely I would notice that amount of water if this was the case? I will just have to wait and see what happens next. Cheers again for everyones help.

It doesn't take much water loss to cause a repudiatory loss of pressure.

Could be a rad valve - you're unlikely to notice if the rad and tail are hot.

Or, could be the boiler's AAV, if it has one.

Softus said:
a repudiatory loss of pressure.
Repudiatory? how many people on this forum do you expect to understand that? Save it for the legal eagles forum.

chrishutt said:
Repudiatory? how many people on this forum do you expect to understand that?
You seem irked chrishutt - have I done something to wind you up?

Repudiatory isn't a legal term - it's an English word, and there are plenty of online dictionaries available to anyone who has difficulty understanding English words.

This forum was created as a means of education - let it be so.

chrishutt said:
Softus said:
a repudiatory loss of pressure.
Repudiatory? how many people on this forum do you expect to understand that? Save it for the legal eagles forum.

I believe it was a malapropism and softus meant to purport te word "reputed". That is unless he repudiates my theory

:confused:

:evil:

Slugbabydotcom said:
unless he repudiates my theory
I don't, because it's a reasonable theory. But I wrote what I meant, and I meant what I wrote.

Protherm is to reliable as Thameslink Trains is to 'on time'. There are numerous places this boiler could leak, and often does leak. If this leak is in the main heat exchanger you may not notice it except by the loss in pressure (repudiatory or not).

If the heating system is large the internal expansion vessel may not be large enough to cope, so take advice and size the new one accordingly. I usually would fit 18 litres to a 10 rad system for a 1/2 bar cold to hot pressure increase. How big is yours? (ooh err!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back