Moving a stop cock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I've used this site a few times before and found the answers I was looking for. It's good, and rare, to find a site that contains mostly useful info!!

Anyway, the time has come to put you to the test with a question of my own! We're extending our kitchen, which means knocking the back wall of the existing kitchen out, and guess where the stop cock is? Well, if it's left unmoved, it'll be sticking up right in the middle of the new kitchen!

So, how easy is it to move? The main incoming water pipe is black plastic (house is c 1984), through a combo stop cock and drain, onto standard 15mm copper. The plastic, from what I could see (not a lot, more like feel) comes out of a plastic duct in a concreted floor, with about 0.4mm slack. So, what I need to know is, is the plastic pipe jointable / extendable? Can I do it myself or is it a job for a plumber? Or, worst case, is it something only the water board can do?

Sponsored Links
The plumbing is no big deal but digging the floor up is!

To answer your questions

1 Yes
2 Yes [probably 20mm pipe but could be 25mm and don't forget the inserts] or
3 Yes
4 The water board probably wouldnt touch it or care less so long as you do it right

Excellent... I've since found the fittings I need (including the inserts!) and I get to hire some big mother floor drilling equipment too!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back