Dishwasher upper spray arm not turning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Zanussi DG 6100 W dish washer with an upper spray arm and a lower spray arm. The upper one does not appear to be turning when it is running.

a) There does not appear to be any drive mechanism. Does the action of the water getting pumped through it supposed to turn the arm?

b) I took the upper tray out and attached my garden hose to it. Water came thru but it didn't turn, although maybe the water pressure wasn't enough.

Any ideas of the sort of things that can cause this? The holes in the arm have been cleaned. The dishes generally wash ok when it is used, although I think I have a blind spot in the top back right corner.

Sponsored Links
Its the water that turns it. If you have put a hose through it (that is what I do) and its ok. Then you must have a blockage on the inlet to the spray arm.

thanks diyisfun. I stripped the feed to the top sprayer. No obvious sign of blockage. I don't have time to take it right back to the pump today. I need to gather some more facts and see if the bottom sprayer is working.

What if the pump goes? Will it still fill with water and drain?

It would still fill and drain. It would also still make the noise of the pump running even if it isn't actually pumping.
Normal cause is blockage in the end holes of the spray arm.
If there isn't water coming through it you'll have to check that the impellor on the wash motor hasn't been stripped.

Sponsored Links
greensleeves said:
b) I took the upper tray out and attached my garden hose to it. Water came thru but it didn't turn, although maybe the water pressure wasn't enough. .

They usually spin quite freely. Perhaps yours is stuck or the bearing worn?

Doesn't take a lot of pressure to turn them. Make sure the end holes are clear, if these are blocked it will not rotate.
Stripped impellors are common on these, the motor runs one way to pump water through and reverses to pump out. (Two impellors).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back