Splitting ariel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, hope this is just a quick one.
Is splitting an ariel and/or sky cable with a small junction box sensible or daft?

Just chased in my ariel and sky cables down one side of our chimney breast in the lounge, had the room replasteed and redecorated. Now the missus has decided we want the telly on the other side of the chimney breast. :(
This isn't too bad as that side just happens to back onto a built in wardrobe in the bedroom (we're in a bungalow) so I can split the cable in the loft, leave the existing sockets in place (in case she changes her mind again) and run the new cables inside the back of the wardrobe, through the wall and put a surface box on to keep it neat and tidy. However, I went to a well known diy centre with orange signs and they only had crappy plastic unshielded tv Y splitters. I thought it would probably be a lot easier (and a good few quid cheeper) to use small 5A junction boxes. I guessed that shielding would be about the same and the contacts in a junction box would probably be better too.

Is this sensible or would it be a bad idea?

Cheers

Phil

Sponsored Links
dont even attempt joinin a coax with a 5A junction box... unless you want no signal/loads of interferance. even a cheap splitter is better. you can split the cables but for the sky, but its not so easy if its goin to the dish. altho if there will be no other sky box to the other outlet then you could get away with it. each sky box needs its own feed to the LNB, cannot be split unles you spend stupid amounts to save a few quid in cable

best thing to do is get some F connectors (screw type) and some couplers. dont bother connecting cables to old location, but leave them for future incase she changes her mind (we all know what women are like)

Cheers Simon.
I had imagined that using a junction box would introduce interference but thought that an unshielded splitter would be similar. Cheers for letting me know different.
You are correct in saying that there would only ever be one sky box in place at any one time, but maybe best to disconnect the first one as you say, just in case a future owner decided to try and put two in.

What I'll probably do is cut the wires in the loft, fit straight connectors to new cable going to the new socket. As the old socket will be disconnected I might as well put a blank faceplate on it and use the old ariel/sky faceplate on the new socket.

One last thing, compared to the push fit coax connectors the F type connectors look like they might give better connection and be a bit sturdyer if someone catches the cable while in the loft, is there any reason why I shouldn't use the F type ones for both the ariel and sky cables?

Sponsored Links
i use F type for everything. much easier, and i have to do hardly anything to the end to prepare it (but then i use crimp type). for pulling out, its probably just as easy to pull outta screw fitting F tupe as a normal coax plug. cuttin wires in loft like you say is the best way to do it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back