Ring circuit extension or fused spur?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Having a conservatory built. Plan to do the electric myself. I want to add 3 double sockets, causing the smallest amount of damage to the existing electrics.

A socket on the existing ring sits on the inside of the wall the conservatory is being built on. I plan to drill through the back of the socket, through the wall and into the conservatory, then feed wiring through there.

From what I understand, I can't have 3 sockets on a spur, so intend to extend the existing ring, but using the wiring from one socket. So wiring should go as follows:

Existing wire to existing socket, new wire from existing socket through wall to new socket, so and and so forth for other new sockets, then new wire runs from last new socket back through wall to other existing wire (which was originally in the existing socket).

Make sense? Acceptable method? The other option was a fused spur, not sure which is easier/better. The conservatory sockets will only power things such as xmas tree lights and lamps.

Sponsored Links
(EDITED)

best thing to do would be drill a hole thru the wall behind existing socket, take a 2.5mm² thru and add a FCU. then take a feed to each new socket ending at the last

and dont forget this comes under part P of building regs

simon_d said:
what you have suggested is not extending a ring. think about it. you have a circle. now, to keep it as 1 single loop when adding on you need to BREAK the existing ring and add to it. what your doin is basically adding another circle to the existing circle.

Yes it is!

He is breaking the ring! Read it again!!

best thing to do would be drill a hole thru the wall behind existing socket, take a 2.5mm² thru and add a FCU. then take a feed to each new socket ending at the last

Then you would be limited to 13A...

securespark said:
simon_d said:
what you have suggested is not extending a ring. think about it. you have a circle. now, to keep it as 1 single loop when adding on you need to BREAK the existing ring and add to it. what your doin is basically adding another circle to the existing circle.

Yes it is!

He is breaking the ring! Read it again!!
[/quote]

im going blind....
securespark said:

Then you would be limited to 13A...

how much power do you expect some xmas tree lights to use?

Sponsored Links
If he can do it on the ring, he will have the versatility of being able to use a higher load.

simon_d said:
how much power do you expect some xmas tree lights to use?
i plug a 1400w lawnmower in mine (yes the circuit is RCD protected at the CU) and a 2000w heater + other stuff, ok so ive not plugged them both in at the same time yet, but come a chilly but sunny spring morning i can picture me out cutting the grass with my wife watching from the conservatory with the comfort of a 2k heater -Im glad its on a ring (well i presume it is its something i keep meaning to check lol).

it wouldnt be that much more effort to do it as a ring in the way suggested so thats what i would do!
simon_d said:
and dont forget this comes under part P of building regs
Im not sure on this (my conservatory was up before i bought the house) but: is the whole conservatory notifiable? if so can the electrics be appended on to this?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back