3 GANG 2 WAY

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anybody help? I've relaced my friend's 3 gang, 2 ways light switch box and forgotten what goes where. There are 3 sets of 3 holes. 1 is 'Comm', 1 is L1 and 1 is L2. There are 4 sets of cables to attach - 1 porch light, 1 'In', 1 'Out' and one which does the hall or landing (2 way) light. Bit confused, can anyone help?
Thanks, Rob

Sponsored Links
Oh dear. fine mess you've got yourself into. You're gonna look a fool i'm afraid, you either need a multimeter or a friendly electrician.

OR if you explain nicely here, we might help. Copy the following headings into a new post and complete by explaining where it leads, and what exactly you know about it, including core colours. If theres 2 way switching goin on here, there should be at least one cable with 3 cores and earth, which goes to the other switch. We could do with knowing whats happening in that switch too.

wire 1:

wire 2:

wire 3:

wire 4:

Why a three gang switch if it only switches the porch and the hall or landing?

Do you mean hall and landing?

crafty1289 said:
If theres 2 way switching goin on here, there should be at least one cable with 3 cores and earth, which goes to the other switch.

Unless the two-way is wired with live at one end & s/wire at the other, with T&E in between... :LOL:

Sponsored Links
"Gee Whiz". Perhaps I have made a muddle. Really appreciate your help everyone. Wires are as below

Wire 1 : Live / In. has earth, black & red wires.

Wire 2 : Porch. has earth, black & red wires.

Wire 3: has earth, black & red wires. Unsure how this connects. Remaining options are either the hall light, or landing light which is a 2-way switch.

Wire 4: As above.

Not sure if you're able to help me with that info? Don't worry if not, appreciate you time anyway.

Robin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back