Kitchen, cable routes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Here is my proposal for accessory positioning and cable routing on the main wall of my kitchen.

kitchenroute.png

In red we have double sockets on a ring final,
The ring feeds a fused spur (in blue), fused spur supplies unswitched single socket, for integrated microwave. Ring cable is in grey.

Ring also feeds single switched socket for cooker hood. cooker hood is built in to a cupboard unit which has no back to it, and has a regular plug on it. So the socket will be "in" the cupboard and the hood plug right in.

Also in blue we have a 45A rated DP isolator for the cooker, fed in the 10mm T+E (in green) which then goes to the cooker outlet in orange. The right hand edge of the cooker isolator is 300mm from the cooker itself.

Is this layout OK?

My main concern is the legality of the bit i've circled in pink (i'm comfortable with my sexuality). I appreciate that a zone extends horizontally from the sockets, and verticually from the spur plate, and these zones intersect, but are you allow to turn a corner in the zones?

Also, the socket for the cooker hood is positioned in a cupboard. Does presence of cupboard have and effect on the vertical zone extending down from it in which the ring cables run? Some idiot could not look in the cupboard and then drill into the wall above the cooker and zap. is that his fault for being an idiot?

Thanks for any comments

Slip.

Sponsored Links
It all looks ok. The pink bit is fine.

What I would raise concern over is the cooker hood socket. I would arrange it similar to the microwave, so you can isolate elsewhere. Inside a cupboard is not accessible for isolation, as it could get filled with junk.

And why have the loop down to the floor and back up to the hood FCU? I would fit the hood's FCU next to the right double socket, and then there's no need to drop down to the floor.

You can turn corners in zones, as long as the cable remains in a zone once it has turned ;)

Like crafty said you need an accesible isolator for the cooker hood like this:

kitchenroute1.jpg

If I was designing the kitchen this is how I would wire it.
I have moved all the accesories into a nice neat straight line, and rerouted a few cables.

kitchenroute2.jpg

Why fused spurs? 2 fuses......

Fit 20A DP switches instead.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the comments guys

RF Lighting said:
If I was designing the kitchen this is how I would wire it.

I would too probably. But theres the missus involved, and she wants stuff tucked up out of sight as much as possible.

I'll plan an isolator for hood in there.

cheers

slip

slippyr4 said:
But theres the missus involved, and she wants stuff tucked up out of sight as much as possible.
Remind her that a kitchen is a place of work. Fit her sockets n the cupboards, see how much she moans then. ;)

A neat row of electrical accessories can look very good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back