Boiler hiss & gurgle on switch on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm using a Potterton Suprima 50.

When I switch on the boiler for heating or hotwater everything proceeds as it should to begin with & the gas lights. For about 20 seconds everything is great. Then gurgle sounds are heard as though the water level is low, there are some watery popping noises (which sound to me like fluid boiling vigorously in a nearly empty tank). These noises are fairly loud but not alarmingly so. After this is the scarey bit - a hiss is heard which rapidly gets louder. It sounds as though it may be heating a nearly empty tank (but that's just my impression). The gurgles and pops continue at the same time as the hissing. After about 30 seconds of this the hissing is loud enough to be alarming.

I don't let it get any further as it sounds as though it could be dangerous to let it continue so I switch off. After I switch off the boiler the hiss, gurgles & pops continue for about 20 seconds, the noise getting softer, until it stops.

While all this is happening the red and green lights are behaving as they should for normal boiler functioning.

If I try again within an hour I get the hiss without the gurgles & pops.

For several months before this problem started I was finding that the boiler would unexpectedly switch off so that it needed a reset. I often had to reset several times before the boiler would come back on. Sometimes I had to switch it off completely (ie: at the programming keypad or main power switch) for 10 minutes or more before I could get it to light again. This was gradually getting more frequent.

I know - I should have got it seen to ages ago. But no use crying over spilt milk and all that. :(

I'm wondering if the water pump has failed.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. It did turn out to be the water pump. It's a sealed system so has no header tank. Water pump now replaced and everything working fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back