PowerFlush

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been told that to sort out the hot cold rads problem that I need a power flush to clear out the sludge etc I have a combi boiler with 11 rads. Could someone give me a steer on what I should expect to pay to have a power flush done. Thank You.

Sponsored Links
It is and it seems that I'm not being taken for a ride. It's expensive though all the same. Thanks for replying

Do a DIY mains flush, just as effective - see FAQ topic or Wiki for details.

Sponsored Links
obtain an independant quote , and have your system water analysed , BG love saying "it need power flushing"

Honest , just get it checked

In the ordinary course of events a sealed system is less susceptible to sludging up than a traditional system. Due to the limited amount of oxygen available to enable the process. I would have thought that you would be better off using a proprietery sludge remover/system cleanser such as Sentinel X400 followed by a vigorous flushing regime. You could then spend some of the money you have saved having a Magnaclean magnetic filter installed, which is by far the most marvelous device yet designed to protect modern boilers.

does it smell wen u open a bleed valve and is it black . ??? in colour ?

runs clear and doesnt smell and a sealed system , someting stinks and its not your system read this from dizzy

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:42 pm Post Subject: Please help, cold radiator

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our system worked perfectly until it was serviced. We asked the man if one of radiators didnt get as warm because of age, size etc. He said that the system wasnt brilliant and if we turned the furthest radiator off (new) then the suspect radiator would get warmer. He did this and the warm radiator did work better. Hwever when we next turned on the furthest radiator, it will no longer work. The pipe to it is hot but all the radiator is cold. We see the man regulary and he works for a well known company and he said all of the sludge will have settled in the new radiator and that it needs flushing. Our problem is we are moving very soon and our buyer is very picky and now wants to come round to check everything works. Im annoyed because said radiator worked fine and I feel he should have warned us about this. Is it easy to flush one radiator or will the whole system need doing? How much would this cost. It is an old system with a new boiler and Im scared to mess with it as we had a few leaks when it was first fitted.
Thanks for any advice

Note of caution - water can sometimes run clear while there are solids in the system. Plastic pipe seems to be prone to "tea leaves" of black stuck to the inside of the pipe. If they gang up, the pipe can be blocked completely. Similar tales with cast iron rads - big flakes have been known to block pipes where there was flow before the powerflush.

You'll find a tale on here of a microbore pipe which got blocked; neither the mains nor a high pressure pipe tester would push it out.

If there is some flow then the most aggressive chems will usually improve things, but may not be desirable on an old system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back