loop in lighting in modren house can I add

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI there dudes,:cool:

I foolishly bought some spotlights form B&Q without checking if they where double insulated or not. When I got home I realised straight away there where double insulated so...I'm now wondering how am I going to do it, and now I'm wondering if I'm allow by the regs to add double inslulated spotlights to a modern lighting circuit that as and earth running with. and I've another problem ...the spotlights have a very small cable clamp inside them, so there's not goanna be enough space there for t&e in and out, So I guess that I would have to put a juction box with with each of the three lights. and run the earth through the juction boxs.?

Manufacture "RING' Recessed single downlight 1x60 watt

Sponsored Links
You may install those lights on a circuit with a cpc, you may not, however attempt to attach the cpc to the lights via rivets, sticky tape or chewing gum, and yes you must keep the cpc continious throughout the lighting circuit

I recommend some of those chocboxes that snap round choc block, and some 2 core pendant drop flex, put one near each light take the T&E in and out of one side of that, and the 2C flex to the fixture the other side (bad practice to clamp solid and stranded conductors under the same screw)

thanks,

:cool: dude if I wanted to use chewing gum I'd have asked at the corner shop. :p

I wish to remove one ceiling rose and replace it with three recessed spot lights. Now I know that I can still use these double insluated lights....ok thats cool...but how to do it, would you suggest that I use a junction box for each new light as this is what I'm thinking about doing to link each light, or try and do with less juction boxes somehow.?

this of course would continue cpc throughout the junction boxes

One per light is best, and then the junction box is accessable by pulling it through the the hole that the light goes in, and you want to keep the 2C flex to just a short link rather than snaking everywhere

BTW, another reason you want to use the choc boxes instead of round JBs, is that they have cable grips, whereas the round jbs need to be screwed down and have cabled clipped to provide protection from being ripped out

Sponsored Links
Choc Boxes????forgive me they sound like somthing new, I thought you ment choc block. I don't like using choc block(not the way I was tought)

But I assume it's something like that yea ? choc block but encased in a box yea!

Well if they have cable grips as well as being boxed I can see the advantage over jbs, only well it's what your used to is'nt it...I'm used to jbs.

So if I used these (thats if I can get hold of three) are they alright to use with the current regs. I'm selling the house in a few years and I don't wanna be having issues later if you know what I mean man.

I am thinking that I'll need 3 core and earth between the boxes am I right ?

And I'm goanna need to extented the loop out t&e to the last spotlight in order to keep all spots in a loop. If I don't extend the loop wire then my spots will be on a spur off the ciruit. Yea !!!!

You only need 3 core & earth if between two switches on a lighting circuit

Only need regular 2 core and earth between the lights

You dont need to make a ring of it. Lighting circuits are radial.

TTC

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back