Light not working properly.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Any help would be great here.

I bought and installed a 5 pack spotlight kit for my kitchen ceiling from B&Q but the are not coming on instantly. The light switch is one of these metal ones which is earthed.
The lights that come with a transformer are 5 x 20 watt halogens. The instructions say the the unit is "safety extra low voltage and must not be earthed".
When I flick the switch, a very dim flicker comes from the bulb closest to the transformer then after about 2 secs they all come on. If I leave them on for 20 minutes then switch them off. They won't come back on for an hour or two.

The house is 4 years old if that helps?
Any ideas would be appreciated..

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Some tx's have a delay.

Are they lying in/on insulation?

Sound like they are over-heating, then cutting out.

When they cool down, they're switching back on again.

I checked the lights before I put them in the ceiling. The same fault was happening but I thought it was normal, although I never left them on for long so never realised that they were not coming back on.
I don't have a dimmer fitted and the transformer is sitting in a ceiling void with no insulation.

are the lamps you have fitted deffo 20watt and not 32 or 50, i have a tri spotlight in my kitchen and one of the lamps blew so fitted with the ones id been buying for work (50watt) now the fitting takes a few secs to come on - to remedy this i have now started purchasing a lower wattage lamp for work lol

you could take it back to BandQ and try another one, They're normally alright with returns i've found

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back