removing old handrail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
im new to this and need some help. i'm trying to replace and old handrail but cannot workout how it is attached to the newel. I can see what i think is an attachment through the newel which is at a 90% angle to the handrail. I have drilled this out and hit something hard (i assume metal), but i still cannot see how it is attached to the newel. Help

Sponsored Links
The handrail is likely to be joined with a mortice & tennon joint, what you drilled out was probably a peg that secured the tennon.

The only way to get the handrail off without removing the newel will be to cut it flush with the newel post.

This pic should give you an idea of the joint, you can just see the peg.

Jason

As Jasonb mentioned, cutting the handrail flush with the newel post should, in my opinion work successfully and then you could just chisel the rest out of the newel.

I find it a nightmare separating fixtures and fittings when there are no visible retaining screws/ bolts. I used to hate it when people used nails. It was only last week I thought, I would never use nails for anything because it's not the same as unscrewing, but then again, nails can be a lot easier to get out because they slide out with great ease sometimes which a bit of leverage whereas screws make the job rather difficult if they are concealed.

Sorry for rambling on. Good luck.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back