Conservatory roof leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive got a glazed conservatory roof thats been done traditionally with timber glazing bars and beading. Only trouble is there area few small leaks on it now. Im looking at the best options to repair it. My thoughts are to remove the beading and reseat them in a butyl compound and then cover the whole bar with flashband or similar to run along the timber bars to cover them and just slightly overlap the glass to give a watertight seal.

Just wondered if anyone has any better or more obvious solutions.

cheers guys

Sponsored Links
Do you know where it's leaking from, beading split? underneath the beading? or at the top etc, do you what the timber is treated with? Is the beading loose that will need more fixings?

masona, its softwood beading thats been stained. As far as i can tell its not split or lose. Ive used glazing silicone on the leaks several times but to no avail. I think a general clean down, replacement of the beading, resealing etc :cry: is the best bet. Just wondered if anyone had any other suggestions with best products etc to use,

Thermo said:
Ive used glazing silicone on the leaks several times but to no avail.
I'm wondering if the leaks is somewhere else and not where you think it is :!: The leaks maybe coming from the top somewhere :?: Is the leaks on every panels :?: Is it glass :?:
The leaks on my upvc conservatory was a nightmare to find, I undid the glazing bar cover plate off as it was collecting the water back inside to the screw hole and dripping through the alarm cable, it's easier once you can find the leaks, I nearly gave up :!:
I think a general clean down, replacement of the beading, resealing etc :cry: is the best bet.
Maybe or you could be doing unnecessary work. If you're going as far as that maybe it's time to switch to metal or plastic glazing bars but a bigger job and more costs.
Just wondered if anyone had any other suggestions with best products etc to use,
Well if it was me, I would rub it down and use exterior liberon filler where its needed and run a sealant from beading to glass/polycarbonate sheet then use a few coats of Liberon Tung Oil - very easy to do, just rub it with a rag. I have an a open joint on my bay window sill and temporary use Tung Oil in the joint and no problem so far. China been using Tung Oil for years on their boats!

I wouldn't use bitumen type flashband, they're useless in cold weather unless you was thinking a difference materials.

I once jokingly said to my mate with the same problem as you, told him to stick a small gutter upside down, U-seal on the edge then screw it down with rubber caps. Never has any problem and no more painting, I'm still learning :)

Others may better idea

Sponsored Links
I understand you're still having the problem with the leaking, I mostly use Mr Plastic which is out of your area although they will deliver as I know most of their products come from Wales. I can't remember if you have glass or polycarbonate twinwall roof sheeting, you may get away with planing the wooden bar slightly to the correct height & screw the roof capping onto it. I don't know if they will sell you the roof capping seperated. Sometime it's easier to bite the bullet and replace the whole roof, dearer now but cheaper in the long run. I don't know if they're similar roofing products suppliers in your area.

Another popular one here, don't know what the prices are like.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back