Earthing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
\\\"If the dimmer switch is metal e.g. brass or chrome, then it should have an earth terminal on the metal case. This should be connected with a short length of earth wire to the earth on the mounting box inside the switch\\\"

Is this the only earthing that\\\'s needed to fit a brass dimmer to metal box? I have 1 way light switch with Live and Neutral wires connected (no extra earth) and want to replace with brass dimmer, if I attach an earth wire from brass dimmer to earth on metal box is this sufficient earthing?

Sponsored Links
It depends if your lighting box it attatched to a conduit system ( which if its domestic there's a high chance in aint :( ) Is it twin & earth its wired in, has the earth been snipped back. Or is it the old single core clothy effect cable ( VIR ) with no earth. You will need an earth cable, Attaching it to the back of the box will have no effect if the box itself isnt earthed

I agree, it's sounding like you don't have an earth in your lighting circuit hence you must only use plastic fittings. The only other option I'm afraid tends to be a rewire.

That's fair enough. So I assume for brass electrical sockets I can have them (since they have earthing) but the same rule applies for earthing the socket to the mounting box?

Sponsored Links
you should find the earths are already connected like that in your sockets.

Earth(s) from mains to socket front and then a link to the back box. If not then it should be, and is an easy fix for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back