Boxed in Radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First post here so hi all.

I have a problem with the heating in my living room. There are 3 radiators underneath the windows, they are all very hot but boxed in. The boxes have grills on the front but the room struggles to heat.

I'm considering 1 of 2 options:

1) Use a router to cut long holes in the top of the box (approx. 3 times 2'' by 3')

or

2) Forcing air through the boxes using a fan.

I'm looking for the least hassle path forward.

Any thoughts?

All responses are appreciated...

Cheers

Ssushi

Sponsored Links
the heat should come through the front of the boxes but you my wish to try putting some tin foil down behind the radiator to force the heat forward hope this helps you.

diypeter said:
the heat should come through the front of the boxes but you my wish to try putting some tin foil down behind the radiator to force the heat forward hope this helps you.

When you open up one of the access doors in between the radiators, you can feel all the heat is boxed inside. The front grills allow some heat out but radiators need air movement to work efficiently and that isn't happening...

you know the answer but dont want to do it .. :) remove the boxes !!

radiators heat a room in 2 ways ..they radiate and convect

convection .. this is the natural passage of caused by heat and movement of air. ie heat rises

this is not possible in a box ..

Sponsored Links
I added covers to the rads in my lounge and just as much heat comes out now as before. The secret is in the design.

You need to make sure that there is an open slot at the top right under the shelf to let the hot air out, and the same at the bottom to let air in to replace the hot air escaping at the top.

Look at the link below and you will see what I mean.

http://www.jali.co.uk/radiatorCover.asp

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back