Wet room waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planing to install a shower cubicle without a tray in my bathroom, I would of course need to use a wetroom waste that will sit under the floor between the joists. My problem is that where the waste will exit the floor into the joists I have downlighters in the downstairs room quite close but not touching. Would this be allowed? Is there any precautions that could be taken? even if I install a shower tray it will still be above lights.

Comments / suggestions appreciated.

Sponsored Links
move the waste or the light.

i know its easy to say and hard to do, but better safe than sorry

what would be a safe distance though, and either way the waste will at some point travel past the downlighter as I have a lot of them along the whole run of the joist/waste route.

Every downlight is different with regards to distances away from materials and also depends if the bulb emits the heat downwards or up through the fitting. A safe distance would probably be 30-75mm but that is only rough advice, where possable MI should be read for the light.
Again a 20w GU3 (lowvoltage) lamp will give out less heat than a GU10 (230v lamp), so depends on bulb rating and type of lighting system installed.
Lee

Sponsored Links
the lamps are gu10 50w so will give out heat, they are the fire rated ones in there own enclosure. I expect the waste to run approx 3-4 inches from the lights. Moving the lights isnt an option as there is simply too many in the downstairs ceiling

If they are the fire rated lamps and not lamps with fire bags/hoods then the holes in the top of the casing need ventilation to allow the lamps to cool. 50 mm above should be quite adequate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back