Stained skirting boards to be painted gloss white

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I have pine wood varneshed-tinted skirting boards all over my house that is looking horrendous. The look i am after is white gloss. How do I treat the skirting boards to prepare them for painting? Any suggestion on the brand i should use for durability.

++++++++++
I have deleted your two duplicate posts and copied the text below. Please have a look at the Forum Rules.

Mod Rupert
++++++++++

hjordaan said:
I have orange stained pine built-in wardrobes which needs a make over badly. The woodpanels are quite thin, but other than that its just the varnish that was slapped on very thickly by the previous owners. Now I want to paint the whole wardrobe white/whitewash. Will look so gorgeous and the whole room will lighten up.
How do I achieve this look? Any suggestions on types of paint and methods.

hjordaan said:
I have builed in wardrobes made of pine, which was varnished by the previous owner of the house. The wood is not very good, quite old as well and thin. I want to change the look of it all by painting it in matt white. It will look modern and change the look of the whole room. How do I get rid of the orange varnished stain on the wood?

Sponsored Links
Hi there,

I've just recently had to make good the existing joinery & paint white a complete hallway and landing.....skirting/doors/balustrade.....that was dark brown varnished.....horrendous.

Am a joiner by trade, but invariably am called on to paint (post job).

I achieved good results by sanding all the varnished woodwork (180 grit, then 240 grit), you don't need to sand down to new wood, just enough to remove any horrible varnish drips and provide a 'key' for the new paintwork. Make sure you remove all sanded dust and specks (I like the Stanley tack cloths), then undercoat (I used Wickes Professional Trade undercoat), then found for most areas one coat of "Dulux ONCE one coat satinwood" was sufficient. Most professional decorators don't approve of one coat solutions, but I find it does give a good finish if applied correctly. Obviously if you do sand back to new wood then you'll need to prime the new wood before undercoating.

The finish I got was better than other rooms they had in the house that needed 3 to 4 top-coats to remove any signs of the old muddy brown woodwork.

Satinwood gives a mid-sheen (my personal fave), but if you want a high gloss then I'm sure you can get the same type of paint from Dulux.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back