BG WR1 receiver for wireless RC5 (Drayton RF3?) is faulty

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a six-year-old British Gas badged RC5 (Drayton RF3?) wireless room thermostat with a WR1 receiver, that (the receiver) started to make worrying rattling noise at unexpected times and not responding at all at other. It sounds as if there is a loose contact but I checked and tighten everything and the problem is still there.

I spoke to Drayton's tech.support and they said that it sounds like the relay is faulty and the receiver needs to be replaced.

I now want to replace the receiver but was confused by two conflicting opinions from Drayton's staff (I spoke to two people at slightly different times). One said that I need to replace both the receiver and the room thermostat as they no longer produce units with the frequency that my six-year-old units operate at.

Another person actually said, that as far as he is concerned all British Gas badged units have been produced with the latest frequency and it should be fine for me just to replace the receiver. He also said, that there is no way of identifying what frequency my units operate at.

Can anyone please confirm if it's okay to replace just the receiver or that I really do need to replace both the receiver and the room thermostat?

Also, can this problem be, in fact, a boiler related or it is indeed a problem with a relay?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back