2 ovens 10mm cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought some length of 10 mm cable thinking I could put my new electric hob (8.5K) and two single ovens ( wife is a keen cook) both 3.5K on a single radial circuit. However have realised I need two circuits back to the consumer unit and will protect both with two 40 Amp mcb. Can I still use the 10mm cable or need I go and get some 6 mm.

Can the two single ovens be wired into the same terminal outlet before going into one cooker control unit?

Thank you for your help :)

Sponsored Links
To answer the question, the length of cable run is needed really, and the installation method. I just put some calculations through Amtech, and a 10M run will require a 6mm cable, but a 20M run will require a 10mm cable. The type of mcb (BS 3871 or 60898) doesnt make a difference to the calculations but the rating as you said was 40A. BUT this will only take care of the hob. For the other 2 ovens, I would strongly reccomend they go on their own circuits, a 10M run would be fine with 2.5mm and a 20M run would require 4mm.These could go on 16A mcbs. To be honest, its a huge load in a domestic circumstance, and I'm not sure of the potential to have it all on at the same time, depends how keen the wife is?! It's always a difficult problem, and electricians will use a calculation called diversity to forcast the maximum load, but it is only really a best guess and doesnt fit every situation.

Thanks ample for that. The hob can stay on the 6mm cable that I put in for the previous oven and it is less than 10 mtres away .

However I was hoping to put the two ovens ( as they are 3.5kw each ) on the same circuit. I have the 10 mm cable which was cut off a length for me and the shop wont swop it so I was wondering if I could put both the ovens on one new circuit using this 10 mm cable. (moral of story dont buy til you have worked it out) The ovens are about 7 mtres away from the consumer unit where they would be protected by a 40A mcb. Could each oven be wired to a connection unit and then to the same cooker control unit . And if not using 10 mm cable what about 6mm?

And - If it is possible to use 10 mm cable- would I use the 10 mm cable only from the cooker control unit back to the consumer unit or also have to put it into the run between the cooker control unit and connection unit ... making the wiring in the cooker control unit a bit tight !! If I did not have to put it in would 6mm or 2.5 mm do. Thanks for reading this it seems a bit longer than other peooples!! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back