UPVC waste pipe valve, any ideas?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Myself and my neighbour share one common waste water pipe to a very small cesspool tank but we have to empty it sooo often because it cannot take the capacity. We can't split the usage cos the pipes were installed under the floor all already joined.
So, we had they idea of putting in a valve (the pipe is 110mm upvc) that can be closed (automated is preferred but manual will have to do) and therefore divert the waste into the second cesspool.
Ie: I use water and the valve opens the pipe to my cesspool. If I don't open it, the waste goes to the neighbours cesspool.
It is a good solution - but is there anything out there for upvc pipe?
I see lots of metal valves for heavy duty pressure etc but not for plastic pipe.
Any ideas if this exists and where I can get, and what it is called?

Thanks,

JD

Sponsored Links
Building control @ your council have to approve drainage .........and I don`t think this would meet any known acceptable standards :eek:

That wasn't very helpful, and I am not looking for a lecture on rights or wrongs. I live in Estonia, building control? Council? Its a little different here regarding regulations - i don't live in the UK anymore. .

All I asked is if anyone knew of any way to do this, not your opinion on whether or not it should be.

Anyone else with any idea?

If you are trying to do this in an effort to split the cost fairly of emptying the cesspit then put cheap water meters on each house water supply.

Then apportion the cost of pumping out the ceespit based on the water meter readings.

Why can't you also install an additional cesspit to increase capacity within reason. I would imagine a significant part of the cost will be travel to and from your property and fewer visits may proove cheaper.

Sponsored Links
The water meter would be a good idea, but I have most sink water going in a drain off to irrigate the garden - so that wouldn't be accurate, only the toilet waste goes to the cesspool.

But the neighbour is planning on installing a new cesspit and rather than dig up the whole house floor or remake drains we want a cheaper version where we can divert water from one to the other.

If there is a valve that can switch between the two pipes it would be simpler. He can then look after his emptying and I will look after mine and we empty only what each household uses.

So again, is there a valve of this discription for push fit 110mm pipes?
I know there are slide valves for glued pipe, maybe we can modify around this.

Why cannot it take the capacity? do both you and your neighbour have some sort of medical problem?

Oh wait a moment, you're not draining your dishwasher, bath, shower, sink, bidet etc etc into it are you? no one could be that daft!

Very good, you should have considered being a comedian - not a plumber (though I guess you have to go with what you are best at!)

The cesspool was already installed before I moved in and it is very small, about 2000 litres.

You know you guys should learn to just answer a question posted on the forum, but you all talk about something else. Who cares how big it is, or why I'm doing it or if there are monkeys in the trees - very simply do you know of this kind of valve? If you don't then simply say 'No I don't and I don't think it exists' or 'yes, perhaps try this'.

Otherwise I guess you all have too much time on your hands to chat.

Come to think of it - have you ever kissed a girl son?

But any real help would be appreciated.

jdmorrisn said:
That wasn't very helpful, and I am not looking for a lecture on rights or wrongs. I live in Estonia, building control? Council? Its a little different here regarding regulations - i don't live in the UK anymore. .

All I asked is if anyone knew of any way to do this, not your opinion on whether or not it should be.

Anyone else with any idea?
that wasn`t a lecture and some posters think it`s clever to put other countries instead of UK.....just look @ some of the posts.......in that case you could put a valve in as you suggest.....and yes they do exist but not automated as far as I know.....have a nice day

The reason no one is answering the question of putting a valve on is simply due to cost and practicality. We are just suggesting alternative solutions. A motorised valve for a 22mm pipe typically cost £50. A motorised gate valve for 110mm will be something designed for industrial process control costing £1000's. You then have the sensors and control system cost.

Water meters can be purchased at minimal cost, fitting them onto the feed for each of the outlets that run into the cesspit would appear to be a low cost and more practical solution.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back