Worcester 240 combi - no hot water/central heating ...

mos

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Electrics seems fine:
1. Hot water lights up and fires gas on demand (stays on)
2. Central heating - same

Everything works but no water does not heat!

Pressure 1.5/2 (so, fine).

Any help? It is freezing :(

I hope is not the heath exchanger!!!

Mos

Sponsored Links
Its impossible for a boiler with water in it to be constantly alight but for it to produce no heat.

Idiot me, I did not explain it correctly.

The Pilot comes on regularly, but the burner not.

It then came on and warmed us for one or two days.

I have now (today) checked everything and the culprit seems to be the Gas Valve (99%) - all electrics are fine - I also replaced the electrode since it was a bit old and the new one is perfectly working (also realigned distances with the burner).
I had a Ignition pcb and replaced it, just in case! - No change.
The main pcb I am sure is fine, so Gas Valve?

Now, one or two dumb questions:

1. Do I have to do anything in particular to replace it?
I mean, they should be pre-tuned by the manufacturers (in fact they say to contact them if the new one does not work and not to touch them!).

2. Do I have to replace the o'rings inside the out/input Gas connections - they should be 4?

3. what is the correct way to do the installation?

Sponsored Links
3. what is the correct way to do the installation?

go to college spend loads of money (that you prob don't have)

register with the tax dog (that you don't want to)

cry yourself to sleep at night either over the accountant's bill or the tax demands (and you will)

oh and try to make a crust somwhere :idea:

Dear Strachan
You presume too much and read too much on this.

I am a qualified Electronics and IT Technician (also mechanical work) and VHF/UHF, etc. Telecommunications, I worked for some of the largest Companies on Earth. Yes on Earth! and I do not have a Orange Badge.

I am a common citizen that unfortunately is in a bad 'finacial' position (and coming out of it - hopefully on top) and cannot afford to pay for a repair - especially when we get charged twice the cost of the spare part + labour (it has happened and from a reputable one!) - I had a common fault (which I did not know initially) there was the diaphrams within the divertervalve in need of replacement and they said there was not a replacement and I had to have the whole valve replaced. They cherged me £. 140 for the valve alone! + labour I do not remember how much.
Then after a month I found the diaphram for only a tenner and even the valve was less than half the price I paid and that was not a cowboy and has a reputable name around.

In the last few years I have repaired my Combi everytime without the badge and being conscious I have asked what is the procedure to do the 'GAS' side (which I obviously never touched). The only thing I do not know, so sarcasm is for fouls.

For what I have seen generally around, there are many so called qualified engineers with a orange badge that cannot see the difference from a resistor to a thermocouple etc. Also in other fields, as Electrical contractors, 'know it all' aerial installers, etc., I had a few in the last 10 years and I am very very worried of the cowboys around - note: cowboys are also within those that have a badge, as you may know.
Cowboy is also a person that has that badge and send a person un-qualified to to their job - that is unlawful too.

So, do not flame and try to be a nice person as I am trying to be.

There is no need to accuse anybody without even knowing all the facts.

Also note: the orange badge is 'only' for those that are doing it for money on other people's houses - this is the law

If there is anybody here with a conscience, it will understand my question and help us.

Thank you all of you honest guys (not the cowboys!)

By the way, I am thinking to get to that course - I presume I will get the cowboys work in a flash, as by nature I do not overcharge people and do a professional job anyway.

How much do you think it would cost me to have the gas valve replaced on a 240RSF combi?

Sorry for the tardiness of a reply, only just looked back at this post. I wasn`t being sarcastic, but noone in their right mind is going to tell you how to change a gas valve on a boiler unless you`re acs trained! It`s not just a straight forward swap old for new, inlet and outlet pressures must be checked when replacing a gas valve, also a tightness test before and after any work performed on ANY gas appliance, thus needing a monometer! As for your last question, i`d be charging about £185.

I am a qualified Electronics and IT Technician (also mechanical work) and VHF/UHF, etc. Telecommunications,
I did a degree in that, and something else as well, and have many other bits of paper - all utterly irrelevant!

Also an orange badge though.

It would take a couple of sides of A4 to tell you all you need to know, then 4 pages of caveats. Then you'd need to buy the boxful of kit.
Altogether better to pay someone £50 - £70 to fit and commission it for you.

Hi
Yes, of course I will have it replaced by a Corgi.

Thank you guys for your time

PS it is irrelevant if you only have the paper and not the 32 years experience and skills on various public/scientific sectors that I have. I am talking hands on and not theory.

PS it is irrelevant if you only have the paper and not the 32 years experience and skills on various public/scientific sectors that I have. I am talking hands on and not theory.
I've done about the same as you on that side then. Do pray tell us which part of your life experience told you what pressure to do a leak test at? I promise you it's all irrelevant, and you should know better!

Yeah you are right!

Lets end this now, please
as it is childish to go on, I am against a wall and by principle I am not aginst anybody.

Addition:
this is the main reason why I do not sign up to many forums, too much un-needed chats and very little fatcs.
This demonstrated it again and that is why at the end 99% of the times I do things myself, at least I am sure they are done right. Not surprised that there is not many replying on this post [trigger].

Go on i`ll bite! From your original post it was taken that YOU were going to attempt the gas valve replacement. It was never brought into question your capability to carry out this task, i questioned the safety aspect of performing it and not carrying out the obligatory tests before and after the job was undertaken. I don`t care what the law says about work undertaken in other peoples houses, and you`ll find that it`s not only for paid work but also unpaid! There will always be people who think they can handle the job in hand, and that keeps people like us in work, as we come round later and set the thing up right when it doesn`t function correctly. From your last post i take it you won`t be posting again? And yes, you may call me childish, but i know how to change a gas valve on a worcester! ner, ner, ner, ner, ner. :D

Last post to this thread.

I had it replaced yesterday by an Orange badged one.

It comes out it is a friend and I did not pay for the job and I have learned that too now - only for curiousity, as I am not stupid and I will alway have it commisioned by somebody else.

I repay him by doing Electronics work for free or just giving Electrical tips out myself!

Byyyyeeee!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back