Removing Existing Banister/Handrail/Spindles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a 1930's house and would like to strip back the entire banister to bare wood.

Having tried various methods; heat gun, paint stripper and sandpaper, I've decided that the best option would be to remove all these parts and send them away for dipping.

Is it possible to dismantle these parts without damaging them so that they can be re-assembled again?

My stripping so far has revealed several dowel rods on the newel post that appear to hold at least some of the joints. They are not glued in place as I've tried tapping them and they move with relative ease.

I'm hoping that the construction technique of the day did not involve glue and screws/nails, in which case it may be possible.

Does anyone have any experience of past construction methods, and does what I'm suggesting sound possible?

Cheers,
Vince.

Sponsored Links
The dowels pin the tennon on the end of the handrail and strings into the mortices in the newel posts. You will probably not be able to remove the handrail without taking out the newel posts which in turn are whats holding up the staircase, so not advisable to do.

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back