Painting on uneven walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help - we have just bought a 1975 house - we have stripped all of the wallpaper off, and underneath the walls seem fairly smooth - with the exception of a bit of yellow paint a few minor imperfections - How can I get these walls smooth without skimming? :?:

I like painted walls, so do I need to spend hours sanding down each wall? or is there a quick fix way (I know its a stab in the dark! :LOL: )
If I have to skim what sort of approx cost for 20' x 20' room?

Any advise would be appreciated. :idea:
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Fill the walls...sand down and line em with 800/1000 grade lining paper.

Sponsored Links
I like painted walls too :D

I find I get better results if I:

Use Finish plaster (not polyfilla) mixed fairly thin... like a thick custard. Just a bit of it in a margarine tub or something (this is assuming you're just perfecting the surface, not filling holes and chases which is a different thing).

Apply it with a broad filling knife (like, 100mm wide)

Apply hardly any, and use the knife to press it flat (no bulges that you will have to take off later)

After it's dry, scrape off any lines with a broad scraper (not sandpaper).

I give them a coat of thinned white matt emulsion when I think they're flat and smooth; that evens up the colour and suction and makes it easy to spot any defects so I can correct then before applying the colour. It also provides opacity to hide old colour mismatches or patterns on the wall.

(I am just a clumsy amateur)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back