one way switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I need to replace a one way switch which was left open & unfinished by the builders. There appears to be one red wire, one blue and one white. The white is connected, the red and blue are still unconnected. Not sure what's what. Any help would be appreciated. Jim

Sponsored Links
Could be very old three core.

Can you take a photo and post it on here?

If not we need more details

Sponsored Links
Ok here are the pics:

light1.jpg

light2.jpg

OK, you need to find whats on the other end of that cable. It probably goes to the ceiling rose, or a junction box somewhere. Take a picture of that, and then we can advise.

EDIT: on closer inspection, that looks like flex. Still wierd colours though. Is the red wire connected to the metal backbox?

crafty1289 said:
OK, you need to find whats on the other end of that cable. It probably goes to the ceiling rose, or a junction box somewhere. Take a picture of that, and then we can advise.

EDIT: on closer inspection, that looks like flex. Still wierd colours though. Is the red wire connected to the metal backbox?

Don't think it's flex - the individual strands in the cores are too thick.

crafty1289 said:

Hi, the red wire isn't connected to the box, it's just resting on a bit of plaster.

If I am to believe everything that I have been told, many, many, many, many moons ago, white was used as a phase conductor before yellow. As there doesn't appear to be an earth conductor for your metal dimmer switch then either put a plastic one on (and change the back box) or rewire is probably the most sensible option. I suppose you could use the spare core as an earth but the likelyhood of their being an earth in the rose/jb is slim.

I seem to remember that some European countries use Red, White and Blue as their phase colours and 3-core. I heard it was from the colours of the national Flag (so probably France if it wasn't us).

As good a reason as any other.

RF Lighting said:
Could be very old three core.
;)

L2 did indeed used to be 'white phase' many moons ago before it was changed to 'yellow phase'

I have seen it in a couple of old factories which I beleive were wired some time in the 60s

I too have heard the colours were chosen in homage to the Union Jack

Yes, our factory has white in some of the original armoured cables as the (yellow,black,L2) conductor.It was completed in 1961.

As far as i can see no ones mentioned it, but it looks like aluminium conductors to me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back