Clicking Ideal Classic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right Lads I am stumped :oops:

This is a freebie job (aint they always) and me cousin was complaining that his ideal classic ff250 would ignite then switch off then back on over and over, it does this in a fraction of a second and just keeps clicking.

First of all I stripped down the boiler scrubbed the heat exchanger and check the flue was clear (it was)

it was fine for a bit then I got the call again, look at the board I noticed that the relay on the right (sorry I forget which number) was making the breaking, I called Ideal :rolleyes: and was assured it were the AFS and they advised I change the fan too,(I know tony I have started to throw bits at it in the hope of getting the right one shamefull aint i?)

It was again fine for a bit then he was back on again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so I changed the bloody board, this was a week ago and I get the call yet again.

Any of you top boyos got any suggestions cos I give up, I would pay for ideal to come out but they refused to attend boilers over five years old so I am bloody stuck with it.

You can guess I am in dire straits cos I am willing to accept off the pee taking this here post will no doubt bring

take the mickey but help me

Sponsored Links
I assume by AFS you mean the APS? I have known the inner flue to come away or even rot over time, if Ideal have pointed to the APS then i would check the inner flue thoroughly. Not much else to go wrong really seeing that you have changed most things. I would also check the wiring harness and or electrode and lead.

Cheers mate

but I have stripped out the flue and cannae see a smidge of damage on it???/

and yes I am like the worse BG engineer as I am now throwing parts at the bloody thing

:(

Sponsored Links
My advice would be to check outside and that the inner flue is fully connected to the outer flue and that all screws are fixed in. Is it a rear or horizontal flue exit from the fan?

sime10 said:
I had to change a gas valve on one last week with similar problems

could it be that that is knocking the relay out or is it the other way round?

Gas2Air said:
My advice would be to check outside and that the inner flue is fully connected to the outer flue and that all screws are fixed in. Is it a rear or horizontal flue exit from the fan?

from the side horizantal

Only ever came across the Kingfisher with pcb/gas valve problems. I assume you have checked the inlet gas pressure on the valve :LOL: ;)

yip second thing i Checked, a drop of 1/2 mbr so thats luvverly goddamit

When would you say the fault occurs more often? You say you left it ok for a week, seems to point to a dodgy gas valve when hot/cold? Difficult and i know how you feel, been there, faulty APS on many boilers, fitted new, only to find new APS faulty, throws you in a another direction completely after an hour of confusion!

Gas2Air said:
When would you say the fault occurs more often? You say you left it ok for a week, seems to point to a dodgy gas valve when hot/cold? Difficult and i know how you feel, been there, faulty APS on many boilers, fitted new, only to find new APS faulty, throws you in a another direction completely after an hour of confusion!

true I will change the APS on the morrow

it seems to happen cold or hot, which helps

Hope the APS change works but I still think its the Gas valve, keep us informed.

bugggger it I will fit a new gas valve tomorrow dammit

I feel like picking up a whole new bleeeedin boiler and whacking on the wall

Thanks chaps I really appreciate the help

Definately sounds like an air flow problem over a gas valve but hey it's a hard job. Check your basics mate, polarity, case seal, flue blanking seals and the inner flue when you pop the APS in. Hope you get on ok. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back