adding a fused spur / RCD for underfloor heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im fitting electric underfloor heating to my small extension, 2m2. The instructions say that a RCD should be installed. Next door to this new extension i have a existing fused spur that is no longer used located in a bathroom (toilet and basin only). Am i able to install the RCD in the bathroom and run cable to thermostat located in the new extension or or does this require a junction box instead of existing fused spur and the RCD located in the new room next to thermostat

thanks

Sponsored Links
Could you not 'in line' crimp the cables in the existing spur, and take the feed through the wall into another spur, and blank plate over the existing ?
Hope that this is of some help.

Hi
Thanks for the reply

Would the in line crimp be OK,
The plan is to install cabling, RCD and thermostat and leave for sparky to connect and test.

thanks

It would be better with an RCD FSU next to the thermostat for isolation purposes. It is probably a good idea to have a spark who is a member of a competent person scheme oversee this as underfloor heating is a special installation and hence notifiable under part p of the building regs (England / Wales).

Sponsored Links
If the place where teh existing FCU is located only has a basin and toilet then it is not classed as a "bathroom".
You could just swap the existing FCU for an RCD spur. Unless the circuit is already protected by an RCD (at the fuseboard eg).

But per Spark123's post. This work is notifiable so its better to get a resgistered spark in and let him worry about evrything for you...

TTC

I'll go with that. Fit an RCD spur in place of existing in the loo, drill through and run the feed to the control box, then from there you will run the probe and element flexes down to the floor. Is it WarmUp?

Hi
Thanks for the advice
Sparkys are like hens teeth around here,

Yes it is Warm-up

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back