Cooker connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to replace a single cooker with a double oven. Hob is gas. The new double oven is 5kw max and there is a 6mm cable already installed on its own circuit back to a 30amp rcd at the consumer unit.

I have noticed that from this feed to the cooker somebody has taken a connection and added a double plug which runs the washing macine and dish washer.

My question is. Is this a suitable way to do things or should I run a new cable for the washing machine and dishwasher.

Sponsored Links
Personally, I would keep the radial for the cooker solely for that. However, BS 7671 allows you to add to a radial circuit like this, providing the cable feeding that outlet is the same capacity as the cable feeding the rest of the circuit.

Thanks for the reply securespark. I think I will change the wiring, but its nice to know that it is okay for the time being as both wires are the same capacity.

I should have added that the circuit must also be able to stand the load connected to it.

You can apply diversity to the cooking elements:

5kW = 21.74A.

First 10A+ 30% of remainder = 13.52A + 5A if a socket on cooker control unit.

To this, you must add the appliances, at flc.

BTW, a double socket is still rated at 13A, so the chances are it will be overloaded at some point if both plug-in appliances are on at the same time.

So, if your dishwasher and w/m are both rated at 2.8kW, and you have a socket outlet on the cooker control unit, your total load will be:

18.52 for cooker + 24.35 (for appliances) = 42.87A

So, it will not go on a 30A circuit.

I would remove the socket from the cooker circuit, and feed those appliances (seperately!) from another circuit.

Sponsored Links
I see what you are saying. Okay a separate circuit it is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back