Just installed new radiator in extension - does not heat up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem with a newly installed radiator. I installed a radiator downstairs in what was previously the garage. we have a gravity fed system, and I teed into the flow and return close to the cylinder cupboard, and reduced to 10mm (simialr to other radiators in the house)

when I vented the radiator, water did come out, and the left hand side of the radiator got a little warm but the top and right hand side did not. The left hand pipe and vale are warm while the right hand pipe and valve are cold.

I shut both valves and took the radiator off, I then opened the left valve and hot water came through, when i opened the right valve again hot water came through. But when I put the raditor on i opend the right first and the radiator , valve and pipe were warm, but as soon as I opened the left valve the same thing happened. The raditor got slightly warm on the left but cold at the top and on the right. With the left valve & pipe warm, while the right pipe & valve went cold

Further investigation where I teed into the flow and return, one of the pipes (which I guess is from the right valve remains cold) it is as if there is no circulation going on - can anyone suggest what I should try, the nights are getting colder. Also it seems a raditor downstairs is no longe getting warm.

Cheers in advance :cry:

Moved as posted in roofing :?:

Sponsored Links
How big is the rad you`ve put on? Maybe a tired or now undersized pump. Try shutting off a few rads elsewhere in the house and see if the new one warms up. If it does try throttling down the other rads in the house to force the flow to the new rad.

There's a whole multitude of possible causes.

What about some more information? For example boiler, type of MZV (if any), age of system, when last serviced or worked on, whether or not protected with inhibitor...bla bla, and, almost literally, bla.

I have tried closing down the other rads but this radiator still does not get warm. The garvity system & boiler is only about 6 years old. radiator size is 900 x 450 double convector. Could it be the position of where I have teed into the flow & return pipes close to the cylinder and pump causing some sort of negative pressure on the return.

:cry:

Sponsored Links
Harry888888 said:
Could it be the position of where I have teed into the flow & return pipes close to the cylinder and pump causing some sort of negative pressure on the return.
Yes.

6 six years old, and a gravity system? Seems unlikely, so perhaps we mean different things by the term "gravity". Do you have a pump? If so then you might have a pumped central heating circuit, and a gravity hot water primary circuit, but where exactly have you teed in?

You're not providing enough information. Please tell us how many floors your house has, where the boiler is, where the cylinder is, how many rads, boiler brand/model, type of MZV (if any), when last serviced or worked on, whether or not protected with inhibitor, and anything else you know about your system.

I have teed into the flow & return close to the cylinder cupboard which is close to the pump for the heating system. :cry:

Any ideas: the boliler has been serviced regular, inhibitor is being used. Would it be better to tee in further down the system rather than clsoe to the pump. This radiator is the first one to come off the flow and return.

does the radiator get hot if you select DHW only on the programmer ?

arf

Have you teed off the gravity primary circuit to the cylinder or the pumped heating circuit.

Do you have any idea what you are doing!!!

If not get someone who does

probably air but without seeing it I would agree with pannier

get a decent person in to have a look

Harry888888 said:
I have teed into the flow & return close to the cylinder cupboard which is close to the pump for the heating system. :cry:

Any ideas: the boliler has been serviced regular, inhibitor is being used. Would it be better to tee in further down the system rather than clsoe to the pump. This radiator is the first one to come off the flow and return.

You say close to the pump??? before or after ?

pannierstan said:

He's here to learn - give him a break.

but how can we tell what he has done

he could have connected up both to the flow?

best to get someone in now I would say

Softus said:
pannierstan said:

He's here to learn - give him a break.

I agree Softus but the description is so vague it is clearly evident that the poster doesnt really know what or where he has connected up.

Stan

The question has been asked, and he hasn't answered yet.

He's being polite, and has had the good grace to be public about his realisation of his probable c*ck-up, so I'm just saying that he's earned some patience in helping him to solve the problem that he appears to have created.

After all, he's added a rad to a primary circuit (somewhere), so he can't be a complete numb-skull.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back