Artex ceiling

J

jdjcsw

I have a wimpey house approx 30 years old.
artex finish is on all ceilings.

I have relatives who purchased a new wimpey house 15 years ago and the finish on teir ceilings was the same - so it must be a common wimpey practice.

The atrtex finish does not appear to be a common one today.

I used to think that the finish was a stipple, but it is definitely not.

If you can picture an artex mixture which is watered down to a really runny consistency, then applied using a roller. Many droplets are formed with the consistency of the mixrute being so thin.

Through the years of modifications and leaks etc, I have not managed to repair the patches very well.

I reckon that I have used a mixture which is too thick and the patches are more like a stipple finish.

Is anyone aware of this type of finish, and if so, what the proportion of the mix is (water to artex).

The relatives who bought the new Wimpey home had a leak shortly after moving in.
When the decorator for Wimpey repaierd the artex ceiling, a patch was removed (or flaked off) but what I do remember is that the repair was almost impossible to see.

So for this type of finish I know it can be done.

Can anyone help?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like to me a very thin artex mix has been used and then a stippler has been used.

sounds right , third-eye...........way back when I was apprenticed (plumber) on sites I wondered how they got such a thin artex mix to cover with a stipple- 1 foot square on a pole :eek: neat, small stipples ,must be a knack to it....just about whitened the plasterboard...........heated in a metal bucket over a Primus stove

Sponsored Links
Pmsl, and i had to mix 100 houses of powder artex with water for my gaffer, with a small hand mixer in a massive plastic bin i.e. no electric drill. It was a nightmare, but it grow my muscles, lol. 3 months solid of mixing up, hehe. However, as an aprentice ya just need to get on with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back